• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Lockheed Model 22 USAAF P-38 Lightning

Started by lastvautour, February 19, 2011, 08:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I feel the urge for a twin engine aircraft for my next ID + model. Any takers. if not, I will move this post to my projects section and no harm done. The model will be 1/72 scale P-38E using "Detail & Scale Inc" drawings found on line. However, the breakdown and assembly will follow the ID plans found in SMM. I prefer the engine cowling shape of the P-38E better than the later versions. This will not be a tutorial unless specifically requested.

Lou
P.S. Construction to begin before Feb 28.

Peter

Hi Lou, I would sign up for this but I'm still to far behind on the P40. Your tutorials are invaluable to new comers to the hobby. So in my opinion if you enjoy doing the tutorials do them even if you don't have someone following along at the time. They definitely make a great resource for the site. Especially I'd they end up in Pdfs!

Peter 

Balsabasher

Looks like a suitable challenge Lou,so if it is ok I will tag along as I did with the P-40 project,still working on those as my technique is to have models ongoing all the time in differing stages of build,then culminating in the paintwork when time permits after lots of primer,these past three months I have got through 15 rattle cans of grey alone !
Barry.

lastvautour

In the beginning there was nothing, now we have dreams of that perfect model.

Oceaneer99

It's pretty neat to see all the parts laid out on one block that way.

Garet

lastvautour

Peter

Lou,

What type of wood are you using for the P-38? It sort of looks like pine?

Peter

lastvautour

This is the last of a 4" clear pine board I purchased 2009.

Lou

Balsabasher

Templates are being cut today,waiting on delivery of my new Bandsaw,its first task will be cutting the parts for the P-38,looking forward to it.
Barry.

Balsabasher

In between doing other projects I managed to cut out the templates for the P-38,so next task is to select the wood to make a start soon alongside Lou.
Barry.

lastvautour

The P-38 is coming along with the booms, main wing and center pod ready for some finer sanding. I have yet to start the radiators or do work on the rear plane.

Balsabasher

Here is my own progress with this absorbing subject,the P-38 sets some new challenges for those wishing to progress to a twin engined fighter,it is interesting to compare Lous model with my own and how certain areas have been dealt with,a few more pictures later of a bit more progress today recorded by the camera lens.
Barry.

The wing was cut from two pieces of pine,a kind donation from someone outside the door of my workshop ! as you can see the two panels were tapered and formed to the aerofoil then bevelled and butt jointed with Araldite epoxy adhesive set onto a piece of polythene sheet to avoid sticking to the bench,this morning I released the panel and cleaned up the joint,absolutely like rock.
Today I cut the tailplane from two laminations of sheet pine to get the right thickness and made the fins from some birch ply,only use good quality ply if you do this technique otherwise the ordinary stuff just falls apart,the beauty of this material is that as you sand the laminations show the progress nicely and you can match them up equally either side.

Balsabasher

Todays update on the P-38 progress,a decision had to be made on the wing to fuselage joint,would it be better to slot the wing from below and cutting a portion out of the wing to slide either side of the fuselage pod ? then fill in the void utilising the removed portion,I opted for a brave move and cut the entire rib section out of the pod allowing for the dihedral angle within the fuselage,any small blemishes can be easily filled but I strived for accuracy as much as I could.
The pod is a piece of Jelutong,a luxury from the days when you could walk into one of many pattern shops now all gone,I would donate to the tea kitty and fill my cloth bag with remnants from the shop floor,my favourite source of timber is old furniture and shelving,just keep searching it out and stashing it for use later.
Pictures show the block with the aerofoil cut first before tackling the upper plan view,then it was a case of whittle,then a cup of tea,whittle and a further cup of tea etc until that lovely unique shape evolves,how rewarding at the end to slide the wing through and view your handiwork.
Tomorrow the booms sorting out some suitable wood and get to the stage where Lou is.
For anyone who has not tackled the Lightning,try it,there is a certain satisfaction from the layout of this one as the challenges present themselves with a work around of the best way to slot it together.
Barry.

Oceaneer99

That's big!  What scale is she, Barry?

Balsabasher

1=27 th scale,I love big solids !

Barry.