• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Supermarine Spitfire - Where should I start? - An ID Model

Started by Peter, October 31, 2010, 02:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I prefer to use sandpaper wrapped around a block. I do have some sticks with sandpaper glued to them, but I still prefer the block. In this case I used 100 grit and sanded the top of the wing smooth.

lastvautour

Next is removal of the fuselage wing saddle area. Remove the materiel from the wing fits in. Go slow as to not remove to much wood. I mark both sides of the fusleage block using a cut-out plan glued to cardboard. Next place the fuselage on top of the wing and find the high spot of the wing contour.

lastvautour

Run a line the length of the wing and then mark off 1/16 of an inch from the bottom of the wing. You will see that the wing is slightly wider than the slot provided. Plans will stretch when photocopied and printed. I should have measured the wing again the fuselage before starting, but we can fix this easy. Just remove a bit more wood to fit the wing. It will not detract from the finished model.

lastvautour

Sarting at the rear of the wing, slowly remove some wood as per the first picture. take a line approx 1/4 inch away from the edge and remove the wood. Do not worry about the wing tip just yet. Once done, make a line 1/4 in further in and half way where you have already removed the wood. This will slowly round the top of the wing. Do the same at the front end being careful not to cross that 1/16 inch line protecting the bottom edge of the wing.

lastvautour

Now Start test fitting the wing to the fuselage and remove small amounts until the wing is snug up against the fuselage. You can either cut it away or sand it into shape.

lastvautour

The wing should sit even with the bottom of the fuselage. Next take you blade or sandpaper and round off the remaining top of the wing. We will return to it later.

lastvautour

Now on to the fuselage. Mark the centre of the fuselage followed by extending the lines of the canopy frame to the bottom of the fuelage. Using a T-Square of similar item run lines to the other side of the fuselage and connect the dots to mark the location of the canopy on the other side.

lastvautour

I forgot a picture. It is easier to just do another post than trying to modify the old one. Regardless. Extend the canopy line to wrap around the fuselage.

lastvautour

Next use the top view of the plan to mark out the fuselage. Do both top and bottom. Mark the canopy using the Mk 1 eyeball and you should be close to this

lastvautour

All lines are nearly in place.

lastvautour

Using the contour guide provided, locate and mark your thickess part of the fuselage. Once wood has been removed from the fuselage side, replace the lines.

lastvautour

Now the fuselage is ready to test fit the horizontal stabilizer. Mine was just a tad to thick, so back to an old medium grit sandpaper sheet that I keep on my workbench and I sanded the paper plan away and it was just the ticket. Make sure the stab id properly aligned. You can help this out a lot if you cut the slot square to the fuselage. Using sandpaper or a small file you can enlarge the slot. Sand down the stab to 1/16 inch as indicated in the instructions. We will contour it later.

Peter

Hi Lou,

I figured out the problem the photos my camera is taking are to big and won't be accepted in the forum. So i neeed to figure out how to adjust my camera (its new). In the mean time I have cut out all the pieces and will start shaping the wing and the fuselage tonight and tomorrow after I get the kids from school. My progress will slow over the weekend, I'm working 10 hour shifts every day.

Peter

Balsabasher

Peter,it is not your camera so do not alter anything there,the best thing to do is to re-size them in a paint programme or place them into Photobucket.com online then copy the [IMG] bit of the picture properties into your posting here,that way the sizing will take care of itself.
Barry.

lastvautour

Test fit the fin. Mine was a bit off so I removed a bit of wood from under the fin area and it still need adjustment to meet the fuselage. I then shaved the bottom of the fuselage to meet the rudder. We now have something that is starting to look like a Spitfire.

Lou

There is no rush Peter. Work at your leasure and post when you can.