• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Supermarine Spitfire - Where should I start? - An ID Model

Started by Peter, October 31, 2010, 02:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Hello, I have been studying the plans and photos on this Forum for the last couple of weeks.I am now ready to start my first solid aircraft model. But to tell you truth I'm a little overwhelmed as to where to start. I'm thinking one of the ID models would be a good starting point. Can anyone recommend a good first project?   

lastvautour

Hi Peter. You first project should be an aircraft that means something to you. The ID models are a good starting point. If you wish we will make it together just like I did with Rafa and his Convair Charger.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=234.0
That one may be a bit too complicated for a first project, but you have to choose your subject.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

Submarines (Perch) and PT Boats (PT 09) Make good first projects too. Good Luck...
"The Dude Abides"

Peter

Hi Lou,

I'm thinking my first attempt will be an ID model of a Spitfire in 1/72. Its been my favourite plane since I built a plastic Airfix kit as a kid. I would love to take you up on your offer of building one together, if you have the time. Reviewng your build with Rafa has already inspire me and given me some insite. Just let me know.

I built plastic models and wargaming terrain for years but about a year ago realized that I was never working on my hobbies because I was getting bored with them. So I bought a large expensive ship model kit that I'm slowly working on and built several ships in bottles. I have also taken up whittling. So I should have enough basic tools to get started. I also have a box of basswood sent to me by a whittler friend in New york. I just need to get some appropriate size pieces for the wings and tail.

R.F. thanks for suggesting the Perch and PT boats. I thinking of stuffing these and several other of the ship plans on the site into bottles eventually.

Peter

lastvautour

Ok Peter, the first thing is to dowmload some plans. I have placed the link to the USN recognition model plans for the Spitfire under the two images.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=104
Once you have the plans, you need to print then to 1/72 scale. I tried printing directly from the image and it does not come out true so we will insert the image into a word processor .doc and size it correctly before printing. A 1/72 scale Spitfire has a span of 15.60cm and fuselage lenght of  12.67cm.

The wife is calling. I have to run off to supper and darts. I will continue tomorrow.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,

I will print off the plans tonight and try and get the scale right. Enjoy your darts game.

Peter

lastvautour

I wish I could have written last night to explain how I get 1/72 scale prints. In each case I insert the drawing into a blank doc followed by making a line the same length as the wing span. I then compare the line to the drawing to size the drawing properly. in this case the drawing required to be sized 32% of the original. Once printed I cut and glue onto cereal box cardboard to make masters of the various pieces. Once they are dry you just cut them and you have masters to reuse at your leasure. Another method would be to glue the drawings directly onto the wood. Either way will work. Next is choosing the wood you wish to use.
1. What do you have for materiel?
2. What do you have for tools?
I most work with Exacto knives, some wood chisels and my band saw. Not having a band saw, any saw will do as I do not cut the pieces exactly to size on the power tools. I prefer to cut close and carve the rest of the way. I await your response.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou, I printed the templates and got them to the right size more by  chance than skill. I think I'm okay for tools. I have lots of x-acto knives as well as a good Flex cut carving knife. I also have a Dremel, fret saw, files and some chisels. I have already found an appropriate size piece of bass wood for the fuselage. I will be getting a piece of basswood for the wing today.   I'll glue the template to the wood as I've done that before for whittling.

Peter

lastvautour

In that case I will do the same and will select my wood for the project.

Lou

lastvautour

I chose a small block of clear pine for the fuselage and a pine shingle for the remaining pieces. Except for the fuselage which is already 1.3cm thick, the other pieces will be cut out and then shaved down to the desire thickness. The thick end of the shingle is approx 1/2 inch and the thinner side 1/8 inch (or so). I prefer to use a 1 inch chisel for the smaller pieces and I have 2 1/2 in wide chisel for the wings. Final thickness will be done by sand paper.

I mark the thickness of the piece before shaving down using my finger as a guide once the first measurement is marked on the piece. Running the pencil along a ruler or some other method of marking clearly what materiel needs to be removed. Once all pieces are cut and reduced to the proper thickness, I cut the piece out along the lines of the drawings.  Do not attempt to do any contour shaping at this point. Send photos as you make these pieces and when you are finished.

Lou

Balsabasher

This is wonderful seeing you assist Peter in this way Lou,an online tutorial for sure,a great choice of subject to build as well and you can keep an eye on things as you both progress together,I would glady give classes around here if only there was a glimmer of interest in making real models from wood,the satisfaction as we all know has to be done to be appreciated in carving up something from scratch,well done.
Barry.

Peter

Hi Lou,

Okay the pieces have been cut out with the templates. I took a photo of the pieces but I can't figure out how to post the photo to the Forum?????

Peter

lastvautour

Peter, on your next post select additional options just below this window. Select choose file. This will put you into your computer files. Find the picture and double click on it. When you post the message, the picture will be attached. It will not show up on the preview. If you want more pictures just select more attachments. I am cutting out pieces this morning. Pictures to follow.

lastvautour

We should both be at this stage.

lastvautour

Next will be tapering the wing. Ensure you always tranfer the centre line whenever you remove it due to cutting or sanding.. Mark off the 3" section as per the information sheet and make a mark near the tip 1/16 inch from the bottom. In my case the plan is glued to the bottom of the wing as it stays flat for the most part. Next do the same at the trailing edge of the wing and connect the dots. Remove the materiel required to taper the wing.