• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

An International Build

Started by R.F.Bennett, February 24, 2009, 07:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I can do the hull and hollow it our seeing it will be laminated. I have experience in that domain. So, who will assemble it. I guess the assembly should be close to the museum.  I will see what supplies I have and give you a scale within the week.

Lou

P.S. Full hull or waterline?

dave_t

Lou, is there a museum involved in this project? I must've missed that part.

lastvautour

Dave, have a read in the earlier posts.

Lou

dave_t

Ok, an agreed upon museum. Definitely nothing maritime-related in my region.

R.F.Bennett

I have three in my area but they are all Navy, Garet lives in Seattle there are several maritime museums there and a big one of History and Industry. There's even an unlimited Hydroplane museum, and a Coast Guard one.
Since most models I've seen of that glass are full hull, perhaps it would be nice to do a waterline model of her sailing on a placid sea. A placid sea for those at rest with her, (The writer in me  :-[:P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

R.F.Bennett

I have a Model Mag article somewhere about making a seascape for a museum, I'll see if I can find it.
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

...and a couple of tugs, and a pier.

Ken Pugh

We have a couple of maritime museums fairly close to home, but in North Carolina, the museums of all types tend to concentrate on local issues.  They are less museums and more tourist centers.  This all reminds me of hearing all over the world the maritime museums are moving their models into storage.  This has steadily been going on for the past 15 years.  They say the kids are not interested in them.

Maybe we should look at expanding our search.  Since we are looking at a hospital ship and are stressing international cooperation in humanitarian efforts, why not look at things like hospitals, humanitarian groups, or non-profit organizations?  There may be some humanitarian organization that has an office that could display the model.  They may also like the potential publicity boost of the effort.  Just a thought.  Though I am sure none of us is out for publicity, organizations that raise money for their efforts may be able to use a project like this as a boost for public donations.

With this in mind, a waterline model in a diorama could be more fitting.  This would also decrease the level of effort and weight of the hull.

Ideas floated, load the torpedoes.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

The model will be 1/220 or z-scale. The hull will measure out to close 44 inches. It will be a waterline model and placed on placid(?) seas.

Lou
Cabin boy. Ray can be the purser

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

Study plan has been placed. Due to the large scale of the build plan I'll have to post ot in sections.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

How different is the Britannic from the Olympic?

Garet

R.F.Bennett

Good Artical here;

http://www.hospitalshipbritannic.com/rms_britannic.htm

For the most part the biggest differences were in the number of life boats and their stowage, and the interior.
Due to the little amount of information available, the most we can do is try for our interpretation of what we can find. Isn't that what Solid Modeling is.
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

It is all about interpretation.  Thank you for the Britannic link, which is very helpful.  I saw that the lifeboat stanchions at the stern were very different and was curious what else was different.  I did read somewhere that she had the largest turbine engine afloat at the time (for the center screw).