• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

World War One Armistice 100th Anniversary - Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, December 05, 2017, 12:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Following Gordon's recommendation we will have a cook up starting 1 Jan 2018. This cook up is to commemorate the hundred anniversary of end of the First World War. Suggestions are requested as to how to structure this build.

Lou

Boomerang

A suggestion would be to google aviation events 1918. You should get a great list of things.
  I suggest any aircraft in the search result. Scale is personal preference.
  Models to be completed by Armistice Day 2018.

I'm going to attempt 1/32 Sopwith Scooter and Swallow . If time permits a 1/32 Sopwith Dolphin.
  Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I have had a craving for doing a Biplane series like Tom Solury collection.
They look around 1/32 scale. Maybe a 1/350 ship or two and I need to attempt a tank.

Lou

johnnytodd

lastvautour

Vehicle section: I will make a Mark I tank or two. Maybe a male and a female.
Aircraft section: I love the Nieuport series.
Ships: trying to find drawings of SS Imo and SS Mont Blank. These two ships collided in Halifax harbour 6 Dec 1917 devastating the city and surrounding area. The collision created is the largest non-nuclear explosion of all time. Amazingly the Imo was salvaged and sail again under another name. Parts of the Mont Blanc hull were reported reaching 300 ft of altitude. You can view the details at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Lou

Boomerang

For a tank I'm looking at a Medium A Whippet. 135 track links and for a ship HMS Killybegs.

Gordon

johnnytodd

Just re-discovered a great book I've had for years:  FIGHTER AIRCRAFT OF THE 1914-1918 WAR ; by Lamberton and Cheesman; 1960
It has roughly 90 aircraft featured in 3 view measured line illustrations, along with numerous photos and technical details.  If anyone would like a scan of a particular plane, email me and I'll do what I can...

lastvautour

Ray, here is your opportunity to do your SE5.

I have some Profile Publication Profiles of several WWI aircraft.

Further research revealed that Canada had two ships at the beginning of WWI and received two more from the Royal Navy. All of which have no decent deck plans on line. HMS/HMCS Rainbow has limited drawings. Several Royal Navy ships were crewed by Canadians so more research is in order. 

Lou

lastvautour

Found decent waterline drawings of HMCS Aurora. She will launch at 14.95 inches in 1/350 scale.

Lou

lastvautour

Nieuport 11 Bebe has been started. Drawings are scaled, printed and pasted onto cardboard for templates. May do two?? At 1/32 scale it is a small model measuring 7.13 inches with 9.28 wingspan. I have not made a biplane in quite a while except for the toys.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Jim

And so it goes...

lastvautour

Flying T

love bplanes.have flea mkt store outside Shaw AFB,named for American fst lt E.Shaw,RCFC squad 48,died 1918,flew
Bristol f2b,make it 1/32 @ length 9.69 ws 14.72" how can I find out what the markings were?
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)