• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Float Planes

Started by gera, April 24, 2008, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The last of the float mounting hardware has been installed and partially painted silver. The floats will also be metal colour. The Beaver is not getting much attention these days but it should be done by summer's end.

Balsabasher

Lou it is a great restoration,I have models like this in the background to something else that I am working on,you fit them in when you can.
Barry.

lastvautour

I find I am doing more fitting that concentrating on one project. Oh, well, it's all joyous times.

Lou

Almost time to start thinking of Christmas project if I can fit it in.

lastvautour

Frog Tape is being used to make the fuselage and wing markings. The cheat line is home made decal lines.

Lou

Balsabasher

Seeing your model Lou I could do with a big high wing Beaver myself,these civil schemes take some masking.
Barry.

lastvautour

I have removed the tape and things worked out well. The cheat lines and remaining decals are is being applied today.  A search will be done on line for a good frontal view of a radial engine to print/paste to the front of the cowl. I want to leave the model as is to show my limited skills circa 1990.

Lou

lastvautour

The tape worked as advertised with no leakage. The cheat lines are almost all done. I poured water on glass and placed the decal on top of it. This way water does not touch the decal area at all. It works for me.

Lou

Balsabasher

There can be a lot of work with these civilian aeroplane colourschemes,I like the decal technique Lou will give that a try today myself on a Curtiss Jenny kit that I am building with a youngster.
Barry.

lastvautour

C-GQXH is an actual aircraft flown in Canada. The attached photos show the finished product. i added the additional horizontal stab fins and float rudders which were not part of the original beaver built in 1990.

Thankfully, most of my builds don't take quite this long.

Lou

Peter

Balsabasher

What can I say Lou except what a beautiful restoration project you have achieved,the extra fins were for directional stability on water where crosswind component makes the aircraft drift,they add an interesting talking point.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Nice Lou!  I love float planes.

Mark

lastvautour

Thank you all. When started in 1990 I did not know how many hobby carvers there existed in the world. I had not met any to date. Now, there are many who share through this site. I have not thanked Ray in a long time for the site that made all of this possible. So Ray, your efforts are so greatly appreciated.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I was only thinking myself yesterday how grateful that I am to Ray and for finding this site and the comradship it brings in our mutual interest of solid modelling and carving,the site has become one of great inspiration for myself and many others out there for which I am personally most grateful,long may it prosper and bring the genuine joy to us all in this crazy world of destruction,I say this being appalled and saddened to see pictures of young people running riot in the streets tonight on television.
I have always said that hobbies are essential for the mind,working with wood is so calming as we all know.
Thank you again Ray for providing this platform on behalf of us all.
Barry.

lastvautour

While surfing I came upon this group build where I was the only builder. With Fraser's 1/48 Beaver, it will finally be true group cook-up.

Lou