• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Propeller Disc Tutorial

Started by lastvautour, May 08, 2011, 08:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

First, thank you Ken for the tips on how to make a whirling prop disc. This is just an extension to the process.

lastvautour

lastvautour

And lastly.

Peter

Wow Lou, you took a cool idea and made it cooler 8). I think, I will give it a try on the P-40. What diameter should the disk be for 1/72?

There is also a Pdf of prop discks avaialble for free at
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/other/For-Designers/Props.htm

I don't think it looks as good though.

Peter

Ken Pugh

Looks good, Lou, and it really captures the photographic effect of a spinning prop.  As for the yellow warning stripe, make sure it is transparent, as it is on the real thing.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Pictures of other made in a similar fashion have been photographed and will be posted later this evening if the PC becomes available to me. This has been a fun project experimenting with different effects. Scoring both sides is too much and you can hardly see through it, but then again the photos will show that later.

Lou

lastvautour

The top two discs are the original ones with experimentation with markers while the disc was spinning. The marker were permanent so now they are not suitable for use anymore unless a solid warning stripe is applied to hide the ink. The next two are those featured above. The next two are a variation to see what kind of effect could be had. The third was sanded on both sides and was an attempt to simulate ones sold on line for plastic models. The last is just another version with a solid warning stripe. Unfortunately the web address for the plastic model discs is lost to me. I am interested in what effect others may have.

Lou

Balsabasher

Excellent work Lou,you are perfecting a relly effective method for these spinning propllers,I am not sure about the effects of the coloured tips,cannot make my mind up on this at present so may try a few myself at some stage,either way the adaptation of those old plain discs is taking on new realism,great photo tutorial as well.
Barry.

lastvautour

My final attempt gave pretty good result by using clear decal paper. I used a double line on a circle and just printed it in red. I cut out the section I needed for the prop tip. It does waste a bit of decal film, however it only takes one circle to do both props and it does work.

Lou

lastvautour

The final product is as shown.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Lou,
Do you put Future over them?  Future might hide the bit between the blades some.

Thanks for posting.
Mark

lastvautour

I will give that a try. Thanks.

Lou

lastvautour

Taking a lead from Fraser, I spun/scored the disc followed by permanent marker and once again spun and used 220 grit sandpaper. The black effect works for me.

Lou

Gearup

I like how you developed a new technique using the felt marker. Adds a transparent look to the black part of the propeller disk.
Fraser