• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

March 2011 Ping

Started by Oceaneer99, March 01, 2011, 11:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Hello, all, it is time for the March 2011 Ping!  Let us know what you are up to!

March 2011
Total Members:    250
Total Posts:    5292
Total Topics:    600
Total Categories:    9
Users Online:    4
Most Online:    70 - August 29, 2009, 03:33:27 AM
Online Today:    11
Total page views:    827063

Average registrations per day:    0.29
Average posts per day:    4.74
Average topics per day:    0.6
Total Boards:    55
Latest Member:    Bob Neill
Average online per day:    11.97
Male to Female Ratio:    1:0
Average page views per day:    705.69

Gallery Statistics:
4,854 files in 268 albums and 16 categories with 684 comments viewed 440,704 times

Balsabasher

Lockheed P-38 Lightning cookup with Lou.

RE8 biplane plans and templates drawn,detail parts being made up.

Short Shetland flying boat commenced,fuselage block has been cut.

SIPA S273,SIPA S2510,SECAN SUC10 Courlis plans in preparation in drawing office.

Awaiting paint-Vickers Bullet,BE2C,DH.90 Dragonfly.

In the paint shop receiving gloss yellow-Fairey Primer.

Struts being made for the Fiat CR30,then primer stage.

Barry.

lastvautour

Lockheed P-38 Lightning cookup with Barry.

Lou

Ken Pugh

B-25B for my granddaughter

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Ken, need lots of picture!!!

Lou

cliff strachan

Still working on the Mosquito "F" for Freddie - and taking photos as I go along:

Fuselage with engines on, wings, tail and stabilizer in place.

As this is turning out to be more of an experiment than I had originally intended (There is balsa and there is balsa ie.I had thought that by using a very rough piece of balsawood it would be more dense and therefore less grainy. This is not a fact and getting rid of the grain  will still be a problem.) it will be a while before I'm confident enough to post photos.

In the scale chosen -1/96 - and using primitive means - hunched over a table with x-acto knives - it may be partly to encourage others that space and tools are not a necessary prerequisite to building solids however there nevertheless is definitely a possibility that this will never be completed.

Meanwhile the P51 remains partly painted.
Cliff.

Oceaneer99

My 1/500 scale USS Leary (four-stacker destroyer) is nearing completion.  The ship's boats are mounted, and I only need a capstan and some masthead work.

I've been helping out a number of pinewood derby car builders: my children and their friends.  I built a number of simple stands for pinewood derby cars so they don't roll of the display shelf.  I made two of them too short (one of the cars was shorter than the others), so I cut new parts yesterday.  I also helped out with some woodworking for a class project at a local elementary school.

I was in the kitchen this weekend, and got snapped in the head by a 3/4-inch plywood cabinet.  After many hours waiting in the emergency room, I now have some "interesting" tape and glue work on my forehead, including a large "X" with two bars.  8)  I'd taught first aid to a group of Cub Scouts last month, including my son, who was a witness to my accident.  So after I finally managed to get the bleeding stopped, I said, "See, direct pressure really does work!"  He shot me a look that said, "How can you possibly make jokes at a time like this!"

Garet

cliff strachan

Hi Garet,
Having ended up with only "some 'interesting' tape and glue work" you can  thank your lucky stars, of which you probably saw lots, that things weren't worse. Good luck in all your future endeavours.
Cliff.

R.F.Bennett

Now you know what a hammer feels like  >:(
"The Dude Abides"

Balsabasher

I once witnessed a flying loose mallet head that had detached and landed yards away crashing into the fuselage of a metal aeroplane,it left a big ding in the side,if it had struck a person then goodness knows what would have happened ?,discard loose headed hammers,shaky stems and discard old design hammers with wedges that shrink and can detach,hammer design has come a long way for safetys sake.
Barry.