Average posts per day:   4.72
Average topics per day:   0.6
Total Boards:   55
Latest Member:   Bob Neill
Average online per day:   11.89
Male to Female Ratio:   1:0
Average page views per day: 701.37

Gallery details :

4,660 files in 267 albums and 16 categories with 682 comments viewed 419,206 times

lastvautour

Fairly quiet around the house with lots of snow being shoveled or blown. The snowblower is really getting a workout this year. Regardless, I am still working on the Argus, Yukon and the new 1/72 scale ID + P-40. It is in the paint shop now but will not be revealed until the group cook-up reaches that stage in the build.

I tried to do a 1/144 AJ-1 Savage but placed it in the recycle bin for now. I will attempt to do one in 1/72 later. The two photo do not show the incorrect profiles I attained. I was rushing and not paying enough attention. Live and learn.

cliff strachan

Lou I'll "Ping"  ASP but will you please explain the discrepancy between your "250" members and the statistic of "194" that comes up when one clicks on "members".

Cliff

Oceaneer99

Cliff,

I have no idea why the software gives two different numbers.  We use the summary data for the Pings, which includes the 250 members number.  But the actual member list (only admins have access) shows 194 members.

"Muy mysterioso".

Garet

lastvautour

One could assume that the difference is the amount of people we booted off the site for being spammers.

Lou

Balsabasher

Vickers ES1 Bullet construction has been delayed a bit by other non modelling tasks like rebuilding three vintage doors for a friend for his new house,in exchange I got a lot of nice timber so both parties are happy.
However the ribbed wings are coming along nicely and the wing strut material awaiting shaping.

Plans and templates in preparation for-

BE2C
Fiat CR30

Propellers are in the blank stages for both of the above,I find with the complexities of biplane models it is best to flit around carving different parts and build them up as small batches,it is easier to spend a morning carving propellers in one go.

Two P-40 Warhawks in grey primer awaing small fittings to be added.

In the pipeline are-

DH.89A Rapide
DH84 Dragon
Chrislea Ace
Newbury Eon

Barry.

Ken Pugh

The 1/8th scale Curtiss electric propeller is finished and yet to be picked up.  I threw the second P-47 I was building in the trash because I was not happy with the fuselage.  I am looking at trying to incorporate some methods I found on the Japanese sites when I start on it again.

My oldest granddaughter came up for a visit last month.  She is 10 years old and a very girly girl.  She stunned me when she said she liked studying war and planes that blow stuff up.  She is particularly interested in Pearl Harbor right now.  This all came up when she asked about the Saitek joystick sitting by my computer, which she would love to use doing some yanking and banking in a combat flight simulator  I asked her if she would like me to build her some airplanes and she got extremely excited.  So, I now have an unlikely family member to build airplanes for and am eager to get to work on that.  She will come up next month for a few days with her sisters who are much younger and I want to have something ready for then.  I originally planned to build a P-40, fitting in with the Pearl Harbor idea because I knew I couldn't get several Japanese planes done by then.  I then decided to build her a bomber.  At first I was leaning towards the B-17 but now I am considering a B-25.  This will be an opportunity to tell her about the Tokyo Raiders.

Ken Pugh

Mark Braunlich

Work continues on the 1:48 Caudron racer and have started restoring 1:72 Strombecker Lockheed P-80A.

Back surgery slowed the pace to nil but feeling better and haven't returned to my real job yet so maybe will make some progress soon.  Received a built Strombecker A-20 for Christmas that needs restoration too.

Mark

cliff strachan

Ken, maybe you could interest your grandaughter in trying her hand in building a solid scale model. Our group could probably benefit by having at least one  lady member. My daughter - now 48 - used to build plastic models when she was small. They were pretty good. But alas ...  .

And Mark, good luck with the back.
Cliff

Balsabasher

Quote from: Ken Pugh on February 09, 2011, 02:41:28 PM
The 1/8th scale Curtiss electric propeller is finished and yet to be picked up.  I threw the second P-47 I was building in the trash because I was not happy with the fuselage.  I am looking at trying to incorporate some methods I found on the Japanese sites when I start on it again.

My oldest granddaughter came up for a visit last month.  She is 10 years old and a very girly girl.  She stunned me when she said she liked studying war and planes that blow stuff up.  She is particularly interested in Pearl Harbor right now.  This all came up when she asked about the Saitek joystick sitting by my computer, which she would love to use doing some yanking and banking in a combat flight simulator  I asked her if she would like me to build her some airplanes and she got extremely excited.  So, I now have an unlikely family member to build airplanes for and am eager to get to work on that.  She will come up next month for a few days with her sisters who are much younger and I want to have something ready for then.  I originally planned to build a P-40, fitting in with the Pearl Harbor idea because I knew I couldn't get several Japanese planes done by then.  I then decided to build her a bomber.  At first I was leaning towards the B-17 but now I am considering a B-25.  This will be an opportunity to tell her about the Tokyo Raiders.

Ken Pugh

What a lovely idea Ken,your graddaughter is very lucky to have you,the B-25 would make a stunning solid model with those cranked wings and all of that history attached to it as well,best of luck in your interesting project,Barry.

Ken Pugh

I would love to get her into scratchbuilding wood models but the question of knives comes up.  I only see her once a year and cannot properly guide her in the use of knives.  The idea I had was to build her something and prime it then let her paint it.  I could also build primed models for the younger girls to mess up with paint so they won't get jealous.  This can be a nice slow growing hobby that grandpa/granddaughter can share.  I have noticed before she has some dexterity in her hands and can really focus on a craftsmanship task, so I hope to develop this.  My thinking is expose her to technological pursuits possibly broadening her potential career choices in the future.

I will try to have something on the bench in the carving stage when she gets here so she can watch me use the knife.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Yes this can be a problem Ken,I think your idea of letting them paint the models is a good idea,also how about this one as well,carve up some blanks so that they plug together nicely,something simple like a mid wing with the fillet underneath which pushes into place,have everything pre-carved but not fully sanded,so they get the feel of using wood as a material and can get to glue them together and finish them ? some precision assembly work on your part Ken but well worth it,when they see you doing it enough times then perhaps one day they will do their very own carving.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Not totally safe but a good wood rasp can do most of the jobs a knife can do without the same amount of danger.  With a softer wood like balsa, the amount of force needed to use it effectively should be within her range.

Mark

lastvautour

Pete's Canadair Limited Dynavert CL-84 has made it off the drawing board and on to the production line.

Balsabasher

What a novel subject and well executed,well done Pete !
Barry.