• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

January 2011 - Ping

Started by lastvautour, January 02, 2011, 11:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Sound off people. All members should answer the call if only to let us know you look in from time to time.

Gallery - 4,437 files in 267 albums and 16 categories with 666 comments viewed 378,358 times
Note, don't know about that number of comments!!!!!!!!!!

Forum - Total Members:   249
Total Posts:   4841
Total Topics:   563
Total Categories:   9
Users Online:   6
Most Online:   70 - August 29, 2009, 04:33:27 AM
Online Today:   10
Total page views:   769703

Average registrations per day:   0.3
Average posts per day:   4.57
Average topics per day:   0.59
Total Boards:   54
Latest Member:   T.N.Gaunt
Average online per day:   11.82
Male to Female Ratio:   1:0
Average page views per day:   690.94

lastvautour      1518
Oceaneer99      642
dave_t      421
R.F.Bennett      411
cliff Strachan   283
Ken Pugh      220
Balsabasher      194
Joe              85
Kenny Horne   79
Olli              68

General Discussion      945
Cook-ups and Group Builds   818
Lou's Projects      575
Monthly PING!      436
Ken's Projects      196
Dave T's Board      192
Questions About use.      139
Garet's Projects      139
Model Of the Year      99
Olli's Project board      83

lastvautour

First Ping of the year. Welcome to all members.

The BAe Hawk is being modified to a Boeing Goshawk. The deletion of two strakes at the rear of the fuselage and the addition of a single fin/arrestor hook and speed brakes. The Hawk has two strakes and a single speed brake located between them.

Two Argus engine nacelle below wing plugs have been glued and the other two are in the process.

Little has been done to the Yukon during December. I hope to have it done by year's end.

Some internal cut outs have been done and the lower decks have been glued after this photo was taken. Launch is not anticipated before 2012

Repair to the Hudson is nearly done. I will redo the paint scheme to reflect a Hudson flying at Greenwood during WWII.

In addition to this I have started a 1/72 Texan/Harvard ID + model and have printed the drawings for an F4U Corsair again in 1/72 scale. I have started doing research on WWI Triplanes and found that there were nearly 90 designs/prototypes proposed but few made it to production line status. More research will carry one before committing to a triplane(probably 1/32). I still want to do the LST in 1/350 and I have a Mustang and Thunderbolt partial shaped that need to be finished at some point.

Lou

Paul

Hi gang,  I'm still out here but i have made no progress on my woodworking recently.  I'm getting a little jealous watching everybody else's progress.  maybe I'll make some chips fly this month!

Ken Pugh

Was finally able to give away the P-47 Thunderbolt and he was extremely happy.  Great cookup idea, Lou.  It was good that we were able to make people happy with our hobby.

Now working on 1/8 Curtiss Electric propeller for the same person.  Very eager to get it done so I can start on my next big project, planes of Pearl Harbor.  These will be for someone I recently found out loves airplanes.  More on that later.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Not a good start to the year,today I was halfway down the centre aisle of my collection adding some models when suddenly I heard a loud cracking noise,at the same time I could see the shelving coming towards me from the wall taking scores of models with it,it crushed my leg and pinned me in as hundreds of heavy aircraft folders came crashing down on top of the models and me at the same time,yes my solids as well,it got worse as the gazebo effect took place and ended up with the end wood surround on the entry door caving outwards,what a mess and as I panicked to get my leg free another shelf collapsed,the cause ? a aluminium table leg that had sheared under the load of the heavy box folders,I must have exceeded the safe working load of the table,tomorrow I will start sorting through the mess working inwards from the door and see what damage has been done to the models which at this stage I cannot even see,and then I will need to check the integrity of those other aluminium tables,the debris stretches some twenty feet into the collection,an utter disaster to say the least,the plans folders had just been sorted alphabetically,now they are all over the place many detached from their folders.
Barry.

Oceaneer99

Barry, our condolences!  I've had one or two models at a time crash and break (all repaired now), but nothing like you experienced!

Garet

Ken Pugh

Ouch.  I have had a couple of cascading shelf failures but never on my completed models.  Chin up, mate.  Glad you were not seriously hurt.

Ken Pugh

Will

Quote from: Balsabasher on January 11, 2011, 11:10:15 PM
Not a good start to the year,today I was halfway down the centre aisle of my collection adding some models when suddenly I heard a loud cracking noise...
Barry.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your model collection, but hopefully you will be able to repair them.  More importantly, did you suffer any damage or injury to yourself?

Will

Jim

Good, Lord, Barry! You're a victim of your own productivity. I'm glad you weren't hurt. This just might be the strangest story I've ever heard from a model-builder...
And so it goes...

Balsabasher

700 models affected,about 50 scrap or will be used for spares,one Helldiver was hardly recognisable having taken the brunt of the landslide and was in tiny pieces,no solids were damaged but some rare collectors metal pieces were badly crushed.
The aluminium table supporting the box folders had buckled in four places,the boxes fell towards me taking the modeld from the top shelf underneath,it took 8 hours to get everything out before the models could be salvaged for long term repair work on them,the box folders have been moved to a new place on top of a very solid piece of school wooden furniture,on reflection I under estimated the weight of those heavy box files crammed with plans and data,books and paper is heavy !
Barry.

Balsabasher

Quote from: Will on January 12, 2011, 02:04:06 PM
Quote from: Balsabasher on January 11, 2011, 11:10:15 PM
Not a good start to the year,today I was halfway down the centre aisle of my collection adding some models when suddenly I heard a loud cracking noise...
Barry.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your model collection, but hopefully you will be able to repair them.  More importantly, did you suffer any damage or injury to yourself?

Will

A painful left leg today Will where the shelf landed onto it.

cliff strachan

Good grief Barry. We all have bad days but this takes the cake. Good luck. And hope this is all you have to put up with for a very long time.
Cliff.

Peter

I'm sounding off! Sorry to here about your disaster, Barry. I'm painting my Spitfire after re-attaching a wing that broke off when I dropped it a couple of days ago. Photos will be posted on the weekend.

Peter

Balsabasher

Repairs have already started,to do this all damaged models are laid out in one line checking the ones that seem fine adding them back in the collection area,then all small parts in the bottom of the crate are also laid out and identified and placed next to the respective models that are damaged,so far I cannot find one tailplane for a desert Hurricane and the circular radar dome for a Grumman Hawkeye,they must be around somewhere ? plenty of cyno at the ready,props and undercarriages as to be expected are the items that suffer most.
It has been suggested that I place secondary metal poles under the tables for added support in the future,not a bad idea.
Barry.

Lotus-14

Hello out there,
I have been working on a long term project. I am in the process of drawing up the Canadair CL-44D-6 as used by Flying Tigers.  I have gotten help from "LastVautour" plus others.  A former Tiger crew member sent me his 900 page operations manual, which has been a big help.   I also got a list of documents held by the NASM, which will be great as they have the Structural Repair manual for the plane.
The D-6 is not a stretched version of the Britannia as the nacelles are longer, so the  relationship of the wing location to the fuselage is different. It might look like it was just a stretch, but the design is such that the amount of lengthening of the fuselage fore and aft of the wing was done to make sure the aerodynamic and weight forces were balanced for the change in the weight and location of the nacelles. I got all that from a former Tiger mechanic who went to "school' at Canadair for the plane. The D-6 also has 7 flat glass panels for the cockpit; a design based on the Convair 880, but with different sized panels. Canadair was part of General Dynamics, thus the choice of the 880. This was done to meet FAA bird strike requirements;which the C-108 or the Britannia didn't meet. As soon as the drawings are complete, I plan on making a 1/48 model for a local museum, from basswood, aluminum and acrylic, and a larger model, primarily in balsa and foam as a slope soaring glider.
As well as the above, I'm working on the rebuilding of an old Ideal Destroyer, and a diorama of the USS California at Pearl Harbor using the Strombecker model. I'll submit photos as soon as they are done.
Lotus-14 (Tim)