• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

August 2010 Ping

Started by lastvautour, August 01, 2010, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Welcome to August. I hope you all had a nice July. Weather down east has been fabulous and today continues that trend. Activity has been slow this past month and will probably do the same for August. September should show improvement.

Here are the stats:
Forum
Total Members: 162
Total Posts: 3958
Total Topics: 495
Total Categories: 9
Most Online: 70 - August 29, 2009, 04:33:27 AM
Total page views: 622753

Average registrations per day:     0.27
Average posts per day:    4.36
Average topics per day:    0.62
Total Boards:    51
Latest Member:    Peter
Average online per day:    11.84
Male to Female Ratio:    1:0
Average page views per day:    648.83

Gallery
4,145 files in 258 albums and 16 categories with 588 comments viewed 268,209 times

lastvautour

July has been a busy month for yard work but still a bit of time for play.
The 1/144 CF-100 and 1/72 P-47 are finished although I need to change the decals on the Thunderbolt. .
My skunkworks' project was a Ralstoy Tank. Photos will be posted to my project board.
My priority status board has been amended to show changes.

Lou

P.S. Dave, I tried loading the X file as an attachement but the programming is not set to take anything but a picture file.

dave_t

That's okay Lou. I was thinking of something like a stock market chart that would give us up to the minute reports on the progress of each model ;). Or maybe a streaming workbench-cam.

lastvautour

We will have to talk to Ray about placing this type of programming on site!!!!!

Lou

dave_t

I thought of doing something for youtube after you posted the links a few weeks ago, but I have not made instructional videos before. Something to consider.

lastvautour

I would also, but I don't have a good side to present to the camera.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Fireball XL5 is the only project right now.

Rocketship: built and sealed

Launch rails: built and sealed

Launch sled: construction underway

Ken Pugh

cliff strachan

Mariner - 1:
    Painting progressing or more precisely proceeding;

Mariner - 2: the rebult (from approx 50 years ago or in other words 90% rebuilt):
    Painting in progress.

P51 :
    Painting in progress.

Two Grummins - part of cook up:
    Construction  completed (approx two yrs ago). Awaiting painting

Cliff.     

Balsabasher

Getting organised again since my mammoth workshop upheaval to the old airfield Fire Station,one of the plus points is the ability to handle historic full sized aircraft for restoration,I have already taken delivery of the major parts for the one and only Thurston Aviation Tawny Owl twin boom pusher which has been positioned in the workshop bay next to the main build area where solids are made ( see recent pictures in the album pages of the real thing and my solid model of same ) sadly the extensive descriptions have been stripped off for some reason during the upload ? I noticed that this has happened since the new software for uploading.

On the solid model front there is a lot of activity on the workbench and things are coming together nicely,today I carved up the wings for the prototype Westland built Hendy Heck and also the Parnall II machine,the dihedral angle has been set into both and they are drying out at this very moment ready for sanding tomorrow.

The Parnall Type 582 has the fuselage and wings built and awaits careful assembly and building up of tail surfaces.

The Miles Gemini,Miles Messenger and Miles Whitney Straight are all in primer state and need sanding and more primer,all undercarriage units have been made up from brass stock and wheels added,propellers have been carved,a few have flying propellers made from thick clear sheet,these look most effective when hung from the ceiling.
The two Piper Skycoupes now have undercarriages and wheels and await colourschemes to be decided and added.

Proposed are a large scale de havilland Rapide and maybe another Dragonfly.

To assist with the full sized fuselage on the Tawny Owl I have drawn up a quarter scale plan to build a replica to aid the fitting of parts and to act as a visual as well,this will also iron out any problem areas during the build.

Thats about it for the time being although there are plans to build some more interesting machines that need drawings scaling up,they will all be fitted into the schedule.

Barry the Balsabasher.

lastvautour

Pete's CL-52 is the only B-47 owned and operated by the RCAF. I believe that this may be to only foreign sale of the B-47. The link to an actual picture can be found here.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_FMWguziL40ovM:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/stg44ar/Boeing%20B%2047/b47.jpg&t=1

Lou

lastvautour

Just two evenings left for Aug. Anybody going to finish a project in that time frame?

For Dave. What did you use for the finish on your recognition models?

Lou

dave_t

I used Tamiya flat black acrylic with an airbrush followed by Testors matte clear lacquer from a rattle can.

The clear had a tendency to spray out the random heavy "blob" once in a while which stood out on the solid black scheme after drying. I tried to carefully rub those out but they still show a little.

lastvautour

A tip from the plastic world said to spray the Testor product into a vessel of some sort and then spray it using an airbrush. Testor makes poor rattle can nozzles. Regardless, thanks for the answer. The models have a very desirable sheen to them.

Lou