• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

June 2010 Ping

Started by lastvautour, June 01, 2010, 01:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

My My how time flies when one is having fun.
June Ping stats for your viewing pleasure.

Gallery Stats:

This week:  4032 files in 260 albums and 16 categories with 560 comments viewed 246933 times
Last Week: 3849 files in 247 albums and 16  categories with 523 comments viewed 237447 times

Forum Stats:

Total Members: 141
Total Posts: 3719
Total Topics: 464
Total Categories: 9
Users Online: 3
Most Online: 70 - August 29, 2009, 04:33:27 AM
Online Today: 9
Total page views: 588929
Average registrations per day: 0.25
Average posts per day: 4.37
Average topics per day: 0.63
Total Boards: 50
Latest Member: greybeardgil
Average online per day: 12.05
Male to Female Ratio: 1:0
Average page views per day: 655.09

lastvautour

Ah! June, the moon etc etc. Wood chips are flying if only in 1/144 scale. Currently on the bench are:
1/144 CF-100 Mk 3 AVRO Canuck is primed and awaiting some final sanding and paint. Decals are on order.

1/144 CT-114 Canadair Tutor has been assembled and is in the paint shop for primer. Photo a few days old

1/144 MD-450 Dassault Ouragan is also in the paint shop. Tip tanks have since been added.

1/48  CP-107 Canadair Argus has its wings attached and the nose radome reduced to better fit the scale. With no decent drawing available, photo of the actual aircraft have to suffice. it is nice to have a 1/1 scale version just down the road.

1/32 Fairchild Bolingbroke: I taped off the wing markings this morning and will do the bottom later this week. Paint should flow by next weekend.
1/32 Luscombe 11A (previously identified as 2A) After much frustration in finding photos, one came up that was identified as a 11A vs 2A and voila, many more photos showed up. My original drawings were incorrectly identified, hence the lack of resources. We are back on track and should have some photos taken shortly.

Other than that, lots of yard work and 5 plastics keep me busy. (Four CF-18s and a UH-1D all 1/48)

Ken Pugh

The Fireball XL5 is getting lots of detailing.  I put on the grill around the "engine" and all the nozzles on the tail end.  Now progressing to detailing the tail fins.  I have to check on whether there is surface detail on the fuselage.  After these steps it will be time to prime.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

It has been a funny old month with little continuity on the workbench mostly due to being too hot to work in the tin building,however the Fairey Primer,Fairey Junior,BA Eagle,2x Piper Skycoupes are well advanced and at the primer stage,undercarriages have been made up and fitted.

Yesterday I cut the templates and carved the propellers for the Westland Heck prototype & Parnall Hendy Heck II I also made the pine centre fuselage profiles in readiness to laminate the balsa sides,in the next few days the wood blanks will have been cut.

A few projects at the drawing stage are Parnall Type 382,Miles Gemini,Miles Peregrine plus the projects still in the wings on the May 2010 Ping.

The two super detail 1=24th scale Avro Lancasters are ongoing builds from the partworks and coming along nicely,these are two year projects,one skeletal the other is clad with litho type alloy.

Barry.

Oceaneer99

Love the little planes, Lou!

I finished my VKA-23 last month but am working on a stand.

My 1/72 Bristol Spaceplanes Ascender now sports some touch-ups and white primer, ready for the final coats of paint.

My 1/500 Four-Stacker DD is awaiting lifeboat davits.  I took one of the torpedo tube mounts off to fix its shape, then glued it back on.

I pulled out the fuselage of my 1/48 Speed Spitfire.  It definitely needs work, but I'm considering picking it up again.

Other projects not complete:

• Comet PT-9
  • Multinational project with Lou
  • Cessna Group Build (O-2B)
  • Bristol LRQ-1
  • Spaceship project with Ray

We started a pretty good clean-up of the basement.  All the models and knick-knacks on a display shelf got cleaned up (some cleaned out).  I sold two old computers at a garage sale for $1 each (the buyer said one was going for $200 on eBay.  I said good for you, make $199 profit!).  I found a nice Stanley hand-drill for $2 at a neighbor's garage sale that same day, so spent my computer selling profits.

Garet

lastvautour

Shhh! Don't' wake the baby.
All is quiet on the eastern seaboard. A lockout of the work shop by management (someone above me in the chain of command) has halted all work since 2 June. A quick viewing this afternoon has me siting on the side lines with 9 model waiting for my return. I am hoping the lockout will stop next week. Other than that, yard work has yielded lots of results and I even had time to wash the car. I hope you all have better luck with your projects.

Lou

Balsabasher

A bit quiet here as well Lou,lots of partially made projects awaiting work also,car had work done on it to get through MOT test,main computer crashed and I have lost 1 years work on hardrive if it cannot be salvaged,hundreds of plans have gone down that will need to be scanned in again,warning to others do not use Symantec products as they kill computers,bad news,a system called Norton Go back crashes and you cannot get Windows back again.
Back to solids,Whitney Straight plans drawn up to make a start soon with templates,productivity must continue,get those workers back Lou !
Barry the Balsabasher.

Oceaneer99

Barry,

What awful news!  I have read that GoBack can make recovery difficult after a crash, since it takes over the boot record section of the hard drive.  This forum discussion may help:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188804

I have multiple backups of my Model folders in several locations, but have a whole bunch of raw scans of plans I'm working on that are not as well backed up.  Your post reminds me to make sure those are also safe.  Now that Ray has a DVD drive, I can send him a periodic backup as well :-)

Garet

Balsabasher

All plans have been salvaged thanks to a genius of a computer engineer,now I have two drives one with the old data that was retrieved plus a whopping big new one to play with,it has taken me all day to sort out scores of programme disks and seek out other download stuff from the net that I had paid for,it is a nightmare to get everything back again and working and I am fortunate that my back up disks came in handy as well,my advice to everyone is to back up constantly,give the disks a number and make a folder in word where you can place things like 'P-51 Drawings' Disk 21,thn label the disks to correspond with your files in that folder,believe me it is the only way that you will ever find them !
The thing is when your computer crashes and recovery of Windows proves impossible,it is possible to rerieve the data but not the programs,half of them you cannot remember anyway ? times tells what you need to upload again.
Will be glad when its done to get on with some building.
Barry the balsabasher.

lastvautour

It is a good idea to back up everything once in a while. I do it about ever 6 months. I am looking at an external storage medium but the cost nearly $100.00 CDN for 500 GB. That would probably last me for the rest of my days. I currently have 147 in my current PC and have only used 35GB so far. These new storage medium don't need any special hook up just a UAB port.

On the modelling side, the workshop has been given a clear go ahead and work on the 1/48 Argus has proceeded. The other project have yet to be touched as working hours have been reduced somewhat. I am still waiting for decals for the CF-100 and when they arrive, that project will take priority.

Beautiful day here, leaving to go see a car show at the local mall. Lots of Mustangs and other 1960 cars around here.

Have a good one. Lou