• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

March 2010 Ping!

Started by Oceaneer99, March 01, 2010, 09:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Will,

Very fine work, Will!  The P-40 really brought a smile to my face.  You did a great job with the hand-painted markings. I'm still learning how to do that, and I have had mostly unacceptable results in the past, so it's nice to see someone's work out so well.

Funny story, but I showed my ID model P-40 to a friend of mine.  I used a decal set that I bought at the hobby store for that one, which featured numbers for the nose which matched the real plane in question, and the numbers on the real plane were obviously hand-painted (and a bit crooked).  My friend said, "Great job painting those numbers."  I told him they were decals and that the real plane's numbers looked like that, too.  "No, these aren't decals; you painted them on'.  *Sigh*

To post the photos as photos, use the link to the actual photo: right click on the photo and select 'Copy Image Location' (the exact name varies by operating system).  It should be something like:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_2314.JPG

Paste that link into your post, select it, and then click the 'Insert Image' button, or type '[ img]' before and '[ /img]' after the link (I had to add an extra space in each one to make it show up as text, so type it without a space).  Alternately, you can click the 'Insert Image' button (which writes the img and /img codes), and then past the link in between.

And as a note, it is tradition and helpful to post the link to the gallery page, as Will did.  Make sure that you use the "URL:" address that is listed near the bottom of the gallery page (Will, you got the right one).  That link is fixed and will always work right.  The url that appears in the browser window can change if a gallery is added or moved, pointing your link to a random other photo.  This caused us no end of confusion when we first set up the gallery.

Garet

Here are Will's photos:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4062

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4061

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4060

cliff strachan

Garet, your instructions on how to post photos is so detailed that its value to us older and slower members might be of such benefit that perhaps it could be set aside as a permanent reference. Thanks again. 

Cliff.

Oceaneer99

Good point, Cliff.  I put a copy of the example in:

Posting pictures to your Project Board

under

(Questions About use.)

Thanks for reminding me!

Garet

lastvautour

Outstanding work Will. I will post it to the MoY section.

Lou

Balsabasher

lastvautour

Mid month madness has started. The skunkworks project is moving along and may be ready for viewing this weekend???? The fuselage for the Skymaster is coming along nicely and I plan to plane the wood for the wings and boom later today. The Argus' large nose radome is coming along as well. I even did a bit of sanding on the long neglected Bolingbroke.

Keep your blade sharp.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Barry,
I'm always amazed at not only the quality of your models but also the productivity that you have displayed. However, on taking a closer look at your current bench quality is, as always, well represented by your model of a Sikorsky flying boat. But am I mistaken? It appears that you have built "two" of a number of your models. To one who has trouble finishing anything this is again truly amazing.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Yes Cliff you are quite right,I do build two of most of my model subjects,I do this for a number of reasons,firstly I find it easier to produce two at the same time from the templates rather than leave it until another timescale to make another one which is not uncommon with me either,secondly the two models will incorporate differences in the build process,for example the two S-38's have different wings,one is the metal clad version and the other fabric built up simulated with thin paper strips glued into place and covered with modelspan doped the other has experimental iron on covering called Solarcote which is normally used on flying models,then there is the colourscheme aspect,one Stearman Hammond Y-1 will be finished in all yellow peril U.S Navy drone scheme and the other will represent the one used by the RAF as a tricycle trainer,but there is one other most important reason why I build two,and that is I am a Gemini ! I have two of most things including cars,it is just the way that I am.
I also find it just as quick to build two,say for example a major part is drying I jusy go onto the next model,I also work up my models in batches so like you see here the primer is added at the same stage,next is the rubbing down,checking for blemishes,final sand,final primer then several gloss coats of paint,my paint bill is high to finish this little lot alone with auto paint has cost me about £57 all ready,but I like the convenience of the aerosol rattle cans at hand,cannot get on with air brushes and all of that cleaning,I also like deep colour body paint everything is acrylic so I can add details by hand with artists acrylic tube paint.
And at the end of the day I have a totally unique selection of hand crafted models,what more could we ask ? love them and every moment of building pleasure.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Hi Barry,
That is really interesting. Thanks for your detailed explanation. It also should be filed under Tips and Techniques. But, I must admit I get exhausted just thinking of all that input.
Cliff

Balsabasher

And the good British mild weather at the moment has enabled me to get down to lots of sanding and priming,I placed them in the shed to cure out yesterday.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/GREYS_PREPARED_16032010%23%23.JPG

Pete1616

Pete has been having problems logging on and posting comments. I have given him further instructions and we should hear from him shortly.

Lou
Pete1616

Pete1616

Well here I go......the guy who can't paint,  so uses natural finish. My Chinook is completed. Next is the Supermarine 6B racer with floats as long as the aircraft, and grooves on the side!

I have a Yukon cut out and keep being distracted.....this time by a Lysander.....strange wing shape!

Monday afternoons I get together with three other carvers, one is carving an owl, one mice, and the other a moose.....nothing like diversity!
Pete1616

Balsabasher

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/29032010_FINISHING_SHOP%231.JPG

April is almost upon us and shown here is what I have been working on this past month,everything is pulling together nicely and this lot is ready to lift off to the collection making space on the finishing bench for more projects shortly,you can carve em up and the detailing takes forever it seems ! tackle a few bits every day and it is surprising what can be achieved,more detailed pictures will appear shortly in the gallery.
Barry the Balsabasher.