• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

February 2010 ping

Started by R.F.Bennett, February 02, 2010, 06:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

PING!

STATUS REPORTS! ALL HANDS REPORT! :o

Gallery Stats:

3456 files in 228 albums and 16 categories with 481 comments viewed 203200 times

Forum Stats:

Total Members:     121
Total Posts:    3329
Total Topics:    422
Total Categories:    9
Users Online:    4
Most Online:    70 - August 29, 2009, 03:33:27 AM
Online Today:    8
Total page views:    515797

Average registrations per day:    0.23
Average posts per day:    4.47
Average topics per day:    0.61
Total Boards:    50
Latest Member:    pidogz
Average online per day:    12.4
Male to Female Ratio:    1:0
Average page views per day:    661.28
"The Dude Abides"

Paul

1/72nd
P-38F  painting in progress
Ki-15  painting in progress

1/48th
scaled and printed the plans for an Albatros C.VI.  Don't know when I'll start.

1/35th
restarted carving Superman.  Got some good advice on the other thread if basswood doesn't work out.  Thanks guys!

1/700th
scaled and printed plans for the S.S. Almeda Star.  A neat ship with features of both a liner and cargo vessel.

lastvautour

Work continues on:

1/144 Scale
HMCS Bonaventure. The masts are completed and will be painted shortly followed by addition of radar/radio antenae and arrays. The gun emplacement have been rough cut and need carving and sanding. Work on the hull has slowly started by identifying the locations of the side openings.
1/48 Scale
Canadair Argus. Work on the horizontal tail plane has resumed with the rough carving having been done last night. Sanding will follow and preliminary efforts to attach it to the fuselage will be done shortly.
1/32 Scale
Fairchild Bolingbroke
Final sanding and priming of the fuselage has been done. Undercarriage wheels have been ct but need shaping before gluing to the nacelles. The wheel protrude slightly in the up position. Priming and final sanding should follow before month's end.
Aeronca Champ CF-DBK
Tail feathers have been rough cut using pine and a remake of the fuselage will follow further along in the week. The balsa creation is not working well, and will serve as a guide to the pine version.
Canadair Sabre Mk 5. Some sanding has been restarted after three years of inactivity.
1/24 Scale
BAe Hawk Mk 1. A primer coat has been added once the original markings have been sanded down . A low priority has been set for the Hawk.

Misc: Several projects are circling in my head. The Luscombe 2A is untouched since the rough cut of the fuselage. I wish to start a Canadair CL-44 Yukon in 1/72 scale and so many of Dave's uploaded plans keep begging to be added to my list. On the plastic scene, two 1/48 scale F-16s are slowing coming together. They are poorly molded kits and need much work to make into decent models.

Lou

Balsabasher

Blanks have been cut out for Col Charles Lindberghs Miles Mohawk.

Version one will be his personal aircraft finished in orange wings with black fuselage.
Version two will be Brunswick/British racing green fuselage with cream wings.

Plan drawn up today for the Sikorsky S-38 Amphibian,also known as the Explorers Air Yacht,blanks will commence tomorrow.

Home brew plan soon for the Nardi FN305D to make a solid model.

Currently awaiting Sanding sealer when the weather gets warmer are-

Colonial Skimmer amphibian ( Model 1 )

Colonial Skimmer amphibian ( Model  2 )

Stearman Hammond Y-1 ( Model 1 )

Stearman Hammond Y-1 (Model 2 )

Pitcairn Aurogiro

Barry.

Oceaneer99

I'll try and post my full working list, but all of my construction over the last month was on my 4-stack DD, which is coming along nicely.

I hope to get some of the detail paint layers on my two spaceplanes this month.

I finished some of the house projects, and even re-ran much of the phone wiring in my house.  This is important to my model work only because my balsa and basswood is stored on a high shelf that used to be half taken up with the old-style telephone panel and a tangle of old wires (some had fabric insulation on them).

Garet

Will

My ID P-40 is now painted with basic OD over grey livery.  Summoning up courage to paint the markings, probably an Aleutians leopard faced job - might as well aim high!  I had a nasty moment when priming the thing, as the rattle-can paint seemed to be high-build/filler primer - back to the auto-parts shop to swap for an ordinary can, the guy there reckoned the first can had been wrongly filled as it had the ordinary primer label.  Oh well it gave me plenty of practise rubbing down with the old wet'n'dry.
Next up should be a Zero to keep the P-40 company - that will be painted to match the illustration in a 1945 book (Japanese Aircraft - John Stroud) given me by a friend at a model train group meeting when I showed off the P40 in sanding sealer finish.  Half the group are ex-RAF so they didn't mind a plane turning up.  I like the idea of using period references to go with the old plans...no doubt hideously inaccurate colour schemes in the view of rivet-counters, who I presume would "have the vapo(u)rs" at anyone carving their own planes.

Regards
Will

Joe

Gents,

My quest for Strombeckers continues--with a slight digression in the interests of scratch-building--to wit, "The List":

Strombecker DC-3--primed and still being sanded.
Strombecker Airacuda--disassembled, tail structure recreated, sanded, reassembled and now in the sanding sealer stage; also a set of markings have been "synthesized".
Strombecker F-86--rebuilt, painted, and awaiting decals.
Strombecker F-84--Rebuilt, primed, awaiting painting, decals.
Japanese Ohka Suicide Rocket--components made, assembled, and now in the sanding sealer stage.
"Shambecker" P-61 Spotter Model--primed and awaiting a bit more sanding.

Two projects under consideration:  restoration of a Strombecker B-29 and scratch-building a model from some vintage plans. 

Joe

Oceaneer99

Will,

Regarding ex-RAF types, a friend of mine (a Marine) lived in Scotland for a while in the 1980s and was always amused when he got together with men who had been in the RAF during WW II.  He said they always referred to each other by their rank in 1945: "Good morning, Captain!"

As to your Zero, one possibility on the color scheme (given your Aleutian P-40) would be to paint it like the Zero that crashed in the Aleutians, was recovered and test flown by the US to figure out its strengths and weaknesses.

Garet

Ken Pugh

My Fireball XL5 is still progressing extremely slowly but the floor is repaired and the laminate is down, all that is needed now is to finish the moulding.  With that big job out of the way I can now get back to modeling.  The XL5 has progressed beyond a problem/hurdle stage and things can now move to the next hangup.  It should get to a stage worth posting a picture of real soon.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Much drawing, printing, sanding and carving in the last few days. The Bonnie is coming along nicely. Hatchways should be cut out by week's end. The Bolingbroke wing has been glued in place with putty and sanding in progress. Drawings for the Yukon are done and wood will be selected shortly followed by rough cutting. The Aeronca Champ is just waiting for me to purchase some cream coloured paint. The orange trim should be applied late today or maybe tomorrow morning depending on how big my honey-do list will be today. The new hangar is beginning to take shape. Some experimenting with the 1/144 scale hangar textures on line are not going well. I will have to make my own textures!!! That is all for now.

Lou
PS
3 plastic kit painted in last few days. Need to attach landing gear, decals etc...