• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

November 2009 Ping

Started by lastvautour, November 01, 2009, 07:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

1st of November brings some sun and a slight chance of rain on Canada's east coast.
In the work shop, not much on the go today.

1/144 Nil
1/72 Nil
1/48 Argus - carried out some shaping of the forward fuselage
1/32 Bolingbroke - main parts are shaped and sanding has begun.

The workshop elf is in a bit of a slump since the completion of 7 Air-Toons last month. Purhaps a group build challenge may spruce things up!!!!

Lou

Paul

Here in Portland, slow progress on the P-38 and Mitsubishi KI-15 in 1/72nd scale.  The Strombecker F-84 I found in September is painted and waiting for markings. Many other planes seem to have gone into hibernation with the start of cool weather.
Dave's 1/100 scale pilot has inspired me to try a 1/35 scale Superman.  There is a steep learning curve in realistic figure carving and I'm worried the man of steel might not survive my bumbling.

R.F.Bennett

PING!

STATUS REPORTS! ALL HANDS REPORT! :o

Gallery Stats:

3024 files in 205 albums and 16 categories with 429 comments viewed 163758 times

Forum Stats:

Total Members:     111
Total Posts:    2855
Total Topics:    385
Total Categories:    9
Users Online:    3
Most Online:    70 - August 29, 2009, 03:33:27 AM
Online Today:    6
Total page views:    445877

Average registrations per day:    0.22
Average posts per day:    4.37
Average topics per day:    0.63
Total Boards:    50
Latest Member:    rreis
Average online per day:    12.68
Male to Female Ratio:    1:0
Average page views per day:    648.08
"The Dude Abides"

Boomerang

Greetings all,

- Gloster VI - Finally up on her floats. Just the rigging and final touch ups to do

- Cierva C25 - Still need to touch up some of the red and do the cockpit coaming.

- XP-55 Ascender - Progressing slowly

- Supermarine Type 224 - This has occupied most of the time to date.The nose geometry was probably the most time consuming part on this model. Started finishing.Was allowed access to the imperial sewing box for a button to use as wheels.Minor finish blemishes to rectified.Couple of pics added to gallery.

- Miles M20/2 - 1/48th . Basic airframe cut out.

-  Does anyone have colour info for the Hammond Y (1934)?

Keep up the good work everyone.

Cheers
Gordon

dave_t

Gordon,
       Are you building the first Hammond Y with the single vertical stabilizer? I am fairly sure it was aluminum (color) overall with a bit of color on the tail. There aren't many photos around though.

Dave

Boomerang

Dave,
Have opened a topic in General Discussion.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Mid month progress report. After having completed the Air-Toon F-18 work was to be directed at making a few new Air-Toons, however, the 1/144 scale HMCS Bonaventure was moved to the garage and work began on final shaping of the hull. Additionally, the Bolingbroke wing had its dihedral breaks cut and glue into place. I found that the new drawing used for the completion of the engine nacelles and the wing was not to the same scale as the fuselage which was started several years ago. SOOOOOOOoooooo I had to modify the fuselage to a deeper profile by shaving the bottom 1/8 of an inch and adding another layer of wood approximately 1/2 inch thick to compensate. Good rule would be to make several drawings of all your profiles at the time you start. Dahhhh!, Leave it to me. Regardless the nose section of the Bollie has been redone and progress is forthcoming. I have also spend a bit of time sanding the Snowbird colour scheme from my 1/24 scale BAe Hawk Mk I and have added new primer. The finish will be determined by how fancy I can print up the tail markings. Some of those BAe Hawks have elaborate portraits on the fin. Well that is it for the mid month activities.

Lou
P.S. photos in the project section.

Ken Pugh

The monster Hellcat is gettting close.  Painting has begun and all but one of the parts have been made.

I have also picked up the F-102 a couple of times.  The rear canopy has been painted in.

Ken Pugh

Joe

First and foremost, a most happy Thanksgiving/Harvest Holiday to all!

The two painted P-61's are now finished and suspended from the ceiling of my sanctum-santorum. Two new restoration projects are in the fledgling stage:  a Strombecker B-17 Spotter's Model and a Strombecker B-29.  The research phase has been completed and I am about to let the sanding begin.

On a somewhat different front:  I emailed Garet four sets of Monogram balsa model ship plans:  USS Missouri, USS Shangri-La, USS Hobby and the LST #608.  He has graciously volunteered to make them suitable for the vintage plans collection.  I now have the plans for the final Monogram balsa ship model, the USS Chicago and will shortly email those plans to Garet, as well.

With the coming of the winter rains, I expect to make progress on the two restoration projects and, perhaps, start a third--TBD.

Joe