• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Sort order of pictures (split topic)

Started by davetunison, February 06, 2008, 02:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davetunison

Can we change the order of our personal gallery pictures? I found a feature that lets me change the order, but just on my computer, using a cookie-type command. if I view it on any other pc, it reverts to the original upload order, newest being last.

Oceaneer99

I've been struggling with the same thing.  For example, if I want my album to have photos of construction progress in order.  The default order has been by date, but I found that if you upload several files at a time, they can get mixed up, since a later one may finish uploading first.  I changed the titles of my Ascender photos to be prefixed by a number, and then sorted by Title, but it turned out the sort by title was just a cookie on that computer.

The documentation for the gallery recommends setting the gallery itself to "Filename Ascending" and have everyone name their files in order before they upload them.  I somehow find this a bit of a pain...

I just changed the default sort order to "Position Ascending".  This means that you can use the "Sort my pictures" button to set the default order for your pictures.  It is a bit of a pain to move all the pictures into order, but at least you have control over them.  The individual user can override by clicking the Title + -, File Name + -, Date + -, or Position + - buttons at the upper right of the screen.

If the sort by position default doesn't work out, I can change it to something else.

Sorry this one seems like a bit of a pain!

Garet

davetunison

Thanks Garet,
               I think that fixed the problem, for me anyway. I deleted the cookies and tested the page. The most recent upload was first.

Oceaneer99

Dave,

That's good that the recent uploads were first.  I wasn't sure what the default order would be.  It appears that the following rules apply:

• by default, the photos will appear in upload order
  • you can override the default order for your album by using the Sort My Pictures button.  This control shows the file names of the files
  • any user can override the album's order ON THEIR OWN PC using the Title + -, File Name + -, Date + -, or Position + - buttons
  • if a user wants to go back to the defaults, use the Position + button in each album, or delete the cookies in the browser for smm.solidmodelmemories.net
If the order of your album is important (for instance, a build album), I'd recommend changing the filenames before you upload to something you can recognize and organize.  If the image number is set by your digital camera, you can just adjust the position order until the numbers increase.

lastvautour

Will moving the picture upset the [img]loaded[img] image in the forum?

R.F.Bennett

When you log in to the gallery the first line of tags you see starts with "Home".
Then Solid Model Memories.
Then a line of tabs starting with "Album list"
The next line only shows if you are logged in. It is made up of four boxes;
"Create / order my albums" "Modify my albums" "My profile" "Sort my pictures"
These are the control boxes for YOUR entire gallery.
Click "Sort my pictures".
You will go to the "Picture Manager" Box.
You will see "Select Album" the box it'self will always start with *no album*.
Hit the arrow to expand the albums list, click on the album you want to sort. The page will reset and a list of the images in the selected album will show. It helps to have a second window or tab open to view the contents of the album you are editing. Use the Thumbnail view.
Select the name of the image you would like to move. The click the up/down arrows at the bottom of the box to move the image up or down in the stack.
Then click "Apply Modifications"
Now go to the window or tab that you have open to the album your editing and refresh it. You should see the image has moved to it's new position. If you wish to move more the one image at a time do them all before clicking "Apply Modifications" Or you will have to go all the way back again.
It should'nt upset the image [img]loaded[img] but it will upset the hyperlinks placed below because they are based on the images position in the album.
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Nice instructions, Ray.

But there is some good news: I *think* sorting the photos doesn't affect the hyperlink as long as you aren't using one containing the album number: hyperlink ending in something like "...?album=72&pos=6" is NOT GOOD, but "...?pos=-573" is OKAY.  I think the url under the "file information" section of the album pages didn't change.  For example, the following link is still the page for my completed PT-10:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-573

Having said this, the link above was the only one that pointed to a picture that I moved in its album.  I'd feel a little more confident with more examples!

I've been moving this image around in the album, and so far, it's gallery page is still pos=-573

The next time I need to sort an album, I'll make a test post on the forum with the image (always correct) and the album page link so we can see if they still match after I sort.

Garet

R.F.Bennett

Once again this is one of those things that tend to be different for administrators than for members.
Keep that in mind when you experiment.  :-\
"The Dude Abides"