• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

September 2016 Ping

Started by lastvautour, September 01, 2016, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Stats to follow. For myself, no projects on the bench yet, but the urges are here.

Lou

gera

I woke up this morning and rushed to my shop and looked around the airplane area and noticed Three projects that have been on stand by for about 4 Years!!!!...well I made up my mind to finish them off. Hopefully this will be the start of a new Episode in my 55 or more years of making models.
As a pilot for 16 years more or less I decided around 5 years ago to start making a Home Flight Simulator and that has taken 100% of my time, now that's finished the runway for solid models is wide open...I hope.

I'll be posting some photos....I have to remember how that was done here..

Regards
Gera

Gera

lastvautour

Welcome back Gera. Looking forward to you projects.

Lou

Boomerang

Good to hear from you Gera.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Last August saw a big increase in viewer in the forum having 66053 views. We have also turned the 1/2 million mark for the years. Although posts don't reflect it, there is still lots of interest.

Lou

Boomerang

Greetings from the Antipodes.

Fokker D XXI - Fabric covering simulated using doped thread on tail plane and fuselage . Wing required a bit of
                         Surgery to the trailing edge. Propeller made using plastic from an ice-cream container.

Northrop XFT-1 - Fuselage cleaned up a bit and primer applied.

DH Comet -   Propeller blades done using  ice cream container plastic. Continuing with canopy framing

X-28 Osprey -- Windscreen now attached. Second attempt looked OK so when it was fitted it was stuck in position.
                        Pilot has commenced conversion from an infantryman to a resemblance of an aviator. Beats walking

Cheers

Gordon

buccfan

Thanks for the update Gordon, regards Paul J.

Pete1616

Gordon, you do realize that the Osprey is derived from the Canadair CL 84  Dynavert  which  flew successfully 1965 to 1975....As with the Arrow, my government just doesn't pursue winners....Pete
Pete1616

Boomerang

Pete,
I didn't know that . It will give me something to chase up.

I've read the Arrow story. I agree . same with the TSR2.

I think we just lost the plot.

Cheers
Gordon

Model Maker

I had the privilege to visit Pete Morro late last month. Pete spent the afternoon showing me his shop and his carvings. Dare I say he certainly is a very skilled carver. His airplane carving collection is a site to behold. But he is also a very skilled bird and decoy carver. I was also fortunate to see some recent humming bird carvings which Pete's wife had painted.They really are quite a tag team with Pete being the carver and his wife the painter.

Pete indicated a large portion of his carvings are in the custody of several museums across Canada. Certainly a great accomplishment and an indication of his skill. I'd certainly encourage new members to tap into the extensive learning's of Pete and other SMM members. Pete showed me several of his "tricks of the trade". These certainly opened up my eyes. Maybe we could start a "Tip of the Month" using the existing forum structure as a way to capture some of the the member's collective learning's and tricks. I can see from my visit with Pete, there are many details and techniques used in model construction which don't always make it onto a build posting.

Thanks for a wonderful afternoon Pete!! It was a pleasure to meet and to learn from you.

-ken

lastvautour

Pete1616

Ken, thank you for the compliments! It took some time to stop blushing.....Actually I envy those like yourself who paint your models so beautifully!

I will attempt to correlate some tips, hard to do as I may be simply listing ideas that are widely known and used. I will, however give it a try.

I wish I had read your prop blade tip a few years ago, I may have carved fewer jets and more prop aircraft..

Again, thanks for your company that afternoon! I look forward to seeing your "unpainted models"
Pete1616