• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

A-10 Warthog Chidren's Toy

Started by Model Maker, November 19, 2017, 04:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Model Maker

Thanks Lou - I always seem to struggle a little bit to obtain a symmetrical profile. I'm getting there slowly.

Wanted to continue with the theme of adding a little detail since this model will be finished in a natural colour. Created a template in order to generate outlines of the engine blades. I was originally going to try and wood burn these. But I don't have the knack for creating even fine lines. So instead I opted to use a brown artist pencil in an attempt to mirror the dark brown colour of wood burning. The blades were created by simply drawing fine lines on a thin piece of pine using the template.

The blade circles are sanded to the final diameter using a homemade jig for the disc sander.

The back end components of the model and wing have been assembled and glued to the fuselage. I used a wood burner to outline the control surfaces of the wing, But they didn't turn out as uniform a thickness as I had hoped for. Going with the grain wasn't bad with the wood burner, but going across grain on pine proved to be a little tricky. I've touched the burned lines up with the brown artist pencil. Next time I'll score the outlines then scribing the score with an artist pencil. Testing this on a scrap piece provided a much more uniform outline width.

I was hoping to have this as a Christmas gift donation, but alas, time has run out. But hopefully, I'll have it finished for this year's poster. And I will certainly have a model for next year's donation.

buccfan

Impressive workmanship and detailing Ken. Regards and Seasons Greetings, Paul J.

lastvautour

Impressive indeed. You have talent. Merry Christmas.

Lou

Boomerang

Ken,
I echo Paul and Lou's comments. Well Done!

Gordon

Model Maker

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Best of the Season to All.

I blew the shaping of the canopy by misinterpreting a line on the plans. But it's a toy so I guess I can claim artistic license. In any event, final assembly and detailing is complete. Still have to apply the "Tried and True" varnish, but that will be tonight's activity. With the exception of the incorrect canopy, the model as a joy to build. Due to it's somewhat unique geometry there were a few woodworking challenges which I certainly enjoyed figuring out. The shark teeth were fun to detail, but I certainly wouldn't want to attempt them at a smaller scale.

With a little diligence it should be finished before year end.

Boomerang

lastvautour

buccfan

Very nice indeed , regards Paul J.

Model Maker

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Dare I say there are more accomplished modellers on the site than myself. I think this was a banner year for contributions, breadth of coverage and craftsmanship by all contributors. My hat is off to all the contributors!!

The A-10 has rolled out today after 3 coats of varnish have been applied. Just in time to hopefully be part of the 2017 poster. There are a few warts on the warthog. But like everything else, I'm still learning.

In any event, 2018 will be a new year and I have my sights on finishing those models which are currently on the "assembly line". Best wishes to all for a Healthy, Happy & Prosperous 2018.

lastvautour

Truly magnificent workmanship on your A-10. It will definitely be added to the 2017 poster.

Lou

Model Maker

Thanks everyone for the support and feedback. Looks like I am ahead of the game for a Christmas 2018 gift.

Have posted a copy of the plans at the start of this thread for anyone who wishes to give it a try. It was certainly an interesting plane to construct.