• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

SBC-4 Helldiver in 1/56

Started by johnnytodd, June 01, 2017, 12:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnytodd

Made a bit of quick progress on my next project.  This time an SBC-4 Helldiver in my usual scale of 1/56.  I'm using the WW2 recognition model plans (which I've found to be adequate for Allied planes but miserably inaccurate for the Japanese planes).  The fuselage measured just a hair over my 1" wide board, so I had to laminate a bit of extra material to each side of the cowl...

lastvautour

Nice start. I await your progress reports.

Lou

johnnytodd

The main parts are cut, sanded and ready to assemble but my next step is to excavate the fuselage and create the landing gear.  Since this ww2 era plan doesn't show the landing gear, I'm going to improvise going by photos.  My goal is capture the essential scale, proportions of the gear without trying to duplicate every detail.

lastvautour

Many of my projects are approximations. I call it being a reasonable facsimile.

Lou

johnnytodd

Quote from: lastvautour on June 05, 2017, 09:43:26 PM
Many of my projects are approximations. I call it being a reasonable facsimile.

Lou

I guess that is the whole point of this peculiar method:  very close approximations or 3D "sketches"  Anyway here is more progress

johnnytodd

Recent nice weather has really put my Helldiver project on the back burner.  Its given me a bit of time to figure out how to attach the top wing with only simplest of wood struts.  I've used the "x" mark mounting points indicated on the plan to make slightly recessed indentations on the inner wing surface -  and drilled holes to pin the struts in place.

johnnytodd

A large pin through the top wing helps to keep the wing centered while I glue the struts in place (hopefully).

johnnytodd

I used a jewelers saw to cut the tail wheel out of mild steel.  I'll add detail later with paint.  Next step is to get the main landing gear all sorted out - get all of the fiddly little parts measured, cut and shaped then ready to glue.  No doubt the landing gear will be as fragile as the wings,  so I want to handle as little as possible during final assembly....

lastvautour

johnnytodd

Wings and landing gear turned out pretty good! ... and more robust than I was expecting. The giant stickpin jig really helped.  Next step is the prop and then on to wiring the wings:

lastvautour

johnnytodd

Finished this morning.  Very pleased with the result (until my final spray dullcoat sagged - ughh! :'( )

johnnytodd

Another view

lastvautour

Awesome results. Congratulation on such a fine project.

Lou

Boomerang

Well Done ! Looks great John.

Cheers

Gordon