• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Favorite Books.

Started by R.F.Bennett, December 31, 2007, 05:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

A recently purchased book is this 1987 title Model Aeroplanes of World War I by Graham Goodchild.   The book covers basic scratch building techniques in both solid balsa, built up balsa and sheet styrene over balsa cores for making 1:48 scale models of eleven WWI fighters and observation aircraft and a magnificent partially solid 1:72 model of the Felixstowe F2A.  The chapter on a traditional solid Sopwith Camel would probably be of most interest to the modellers here.  The book is readily available at very reasonable prices through the usual on-line sources for used books and may be one of the last books written to illustrate our hobby.  Well illustrated including this incredible photograph of the Felixstowe.

Balsabasher

Yes Mark I have had this book myself now for some years,this must have been the last book written in earnest on solid models since WW2,some interesting techniques and not a bad selection of early aeroplanes either.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Another book recently discovered.  Not bad if you like the really early cars.

Ken Pugh

I have the car book as well and like it, though I have not yet built anything from it.  It does show some good tips for building solid cars.

Ken Pugh

Mark Braunlich

Another title added to the shelves, How to Build Solid Scale Model Warplanes by Jesse Davidson, editor of Flying Aces Magazine and published by X-Acto Crescent Products Co.  This is the third edition printed in 1944 but it was obviously written to promote the 1942 identification model building program.  Pretty basic stuff.  Includes the standard Bureau of Aeronautics drawings for the He-113, Sento Ki-001,  I-16, Spitfire, and P-40E.  Thirty page booklet makes for pleasant bedtime reading.

Will

The two catalogues of the Christie's auctions of Doylend's model aircraft are on eBay now.  Not mine I already have them.  Approx 200 photos of several hundred models, the auction raised tens of thousands of pounds!

I previously uploaded a few photos...
Will