• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

My fall/winter projects

Started by teddon61, February 11, 2008, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddon61

I was without a computor for a couple of months and when I did come back up, the format had changed in SMM, so it has taken me a while to get back on track, I am still  a bit in the dark when it comes to the new format, and  trying to learn the secrets of VISTA at the same time.
I try to do most of my carving in the summer months at our place in Wisconsin Dells. I sit on my deck, grab my knife, light up a good cigar, tell the wildlife to start serenading me, and start the chips a-flying, then come winter, back home in Kenosha, I get out the paint and brushes, put the cigars away for the season, and start painting.
My projects these past months include: Ju 252,Short Shetland, Fiat Cr.32, Saro Lerwick, Fi 167, He 46, Mitsubishi K3M3, Short G class,
Bristol Bombay, He 178, Renard R.31, Me 264, Hawker Tornado, and the He 274.
Am I having fun? You bet I am!!!
I hope you're not offended by my enthusiasm, but I do love this hobby and the doors it has opened for me.
Ted Billings

Oceaneer99

Ted,

Sorry for moving the furniture around while you were out, but it's good to hear from you again.  Thank you for sharing your projects and your carving philosophy.  None of us carve in a vacuum!

We upgraded from 2000 to XP at work over a year ago, and I'm still noticing things that got moved about on me.

Garet

Kenny Horne

Hi Ted,

I'm interested in your Saro Lerwick project.  I've contemplated that one for years using the old US Navy plan set.  A few of the ol' duds were sent to Canada (courtesy of the ever present British attitude of "It's too shitty for us, but I'm sure the Canadians will appreciate the gesture >:(") which makes it more interesting to me. 

Keep on Cuttin'

Kenny

Oceaneer99

Uh, oh, there goes the Commonwealth!   ;)

Kenny Horne

Garet,

Another such gems was the Blackburn Shark that you were researching a couple of years ago  ::)

Kenny

teddon61

Kenny
Very good drawings of the Saro Lerwick can be found in the FLYING BOATS volume of the Doubleday War Planes from around 1962.
The drawings are from Green who did so many WWII airplane drawings. The volume also shows the twin fin variation which was rejected for the standard empenage. Several pictures of the craft are also provided.
The Blackburn Shark can be found in this same series, Vol 6, Floatplanes.
As with all three view drawings the lower wing of a bi-plane are not often portrayed very well, but usually enough to create a good likeness because the front view will give you length and dihedral, and the side view will give you the chord. Although, by and large you
do have to use some imagination.
Ted Billings