• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Cliff's Models

Started by lastvautour, January 05, 2008, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Cliff, I had forgotten how nice your models looked when posed in that manner. Give us some details on how it was done.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,

Still getting used to the new format. Thanks for your interest in my method of photographing models. Since I've posted the shots - my "aerial shots" that I initially thought were somewhat unique - I've become aware that the method has been around for a long while.

What  I did was to enlarge a background view - in this case a photograph taken about 20 years ago from a hill in northern Spain near EL Cebrerio on the Camino de Santiago (I was driving not actually doing the pilgrimage). I then enlarged this shot to at least 16 x 20 and used it as the background for the subsequent photos of my models. The models themselves were balanced on wires which were in turn affixed to a baseboard in front of the background and then bent up and pushed through the background from the back out of sight. The real problem was to photograph the models from just the right angle so that the projecting wire would not be visible. This would likely be easier done today using photoshop but for solid scale types that's cheating. Nevertheless, no matter which way is used propellers have to be simulated. This was accomplished by "spotting" them in or otherwise painting them on the second print employing a plastic transparent "template" so as to align the plane of the propeller to be perpendicular to the axis of the aircraft.

The hanger shots were taken using a photo of one of the old Commonwealth Air Training Plan hangers at Gimli. Sort of unique I thought as the building has been since torn down and there remains so few of those stations that at one time were so ubiquitous. It's almost ghostly in a way. Sort of consistent with our hobby.

Oceaneer99

Cliff,

You did an excellent job with the photos.  I read a book once about taking photos this way, so it was interesting to see the results you achieved.  I've tried the Photoshop method, which I don't think is cheating if you use an electro-mechanical computer :-)

Actually, I now use the open source Gimp (Gnu Image Processor) instead of Photoshop, since I can no longer run my ancient version of Photoshop on my computer.  It takes some getting used to, has a few issues, and is constantly being revised, but it is quite usable and grows on you.

Photoshop Elements could probably do the job, and is not too expensive.

But before I talk too much about the computer stuff, my darkroom equipment is still in a box in the basement, but I only did black and white printing.

Garet

cliff strachan

Hi Garet,

Thanks for your comments. My unrestrained remarks concerning "cheating" are only motivated by the concern that I have that Solid Scale wood modeling has a certain historic, traditional or "purist" ethic that I for one would not like to see compromised. In a sense, it may be seen as an effort to keep the old methods alive. Almost a reaction to the all pervasive external insistence that we do things the fastest and simplest way- the way everyone does it employing the latest convenience. You can imagine my agonizing about using Crazy Glue to render the insides of my P51's landing gear as realistic as possible! But, similar to your own dismay at having to put your darkroom equipment into storage, I 've experienced a similar disillusionment. I just finished a rather comprehensive photography course only to realize that the chemical  medium is obsolete. Digital is here and that's progress. Soon someone will invent a plastic model airplane that you just have to snap together and paint. Where will it all end!  ;)

Oceaneer99

Now, they even have prepainted plastic models!  Fortunately, my children think that painting is most of the fun. 

I know what you mean about being historic or traditional.  My models have certainly become less "traditional" over the years, and most of the time I use a scroll saw instead of the hand bow-saw I used on my earliest solid models.  I even used superglue for the first time on a model when I made my Craft-o-Kit tank, so that I could finish it quickly. 

However, my biggest concern is that we might ignore more traditional methods that are actually better or easier.  I found an older British model book that went into great detail about brush painting, including all sorts of stipple effects that most modelers would use an airbrush for today.  I have an airbrush, but rarely go though the hassle of setting it up and then cleaning it out, so reading what a true artist can do with a brush gave me confidence to at least try it that way first.  And Ray has shown me some neat ways of making paper decals that are really quite nice.

As to the darkroom equipment, my wife was a newspaper photographer when we met, so that is part of the reason I've been allowed to retain the equipment.  I'm also concerned that it may be impossible to replace the equipment in the future should we change our minds.  Incidentally, if you've ever taken an art-school based darkroom course (as I did), you don't want to watch newspaper photogs develop film or make prints!  We had many arguments about not fixing or washing long enough.  Her only concern at the time was that the print would last long enough to print the next issue of the newspaper.

I think Ray has a photography background as well, I once saw some of his prints.

Garet

teddon61

Garet, you mentioned prepainted plastic models in your message to cliff. It reminded my of the silver (aluminum) clad models from years ago. I worked part-time at a hobby shop in the 60s and remember these models. I don't know how many types they produced , but I do remember the Jug, and I think the Mustang as well.
I didn't care for them because they were somewhat garish, and the seams between the parts were difficult to hide.
However they did cause a stir for a while.
Ted Billings

Oceaneer99

Ted, I remember reading about those in the magazines, but never saw one in person at the time. However, my son was given a kit last year that has been vapor deposited with aluminum.  I think it is a contemporary model, but I may need to check in more detail.

I used to do metal vapor depositions for work, and aluminum was very tricky.  If you had the vacuum wrong or used the wrong crucible, you ended up with a black coating instead!  I did a lot of gold and silver depositions, and had to use chromium under the gold.  The chromium was a real pain because you had to get it so hot!  The equipment was ancient, so we spent a lot of time machining new parts for the machine.  The valves were poorly labeled, and every once in a while, an operator would open them in the wrong order and we'd hear a big "CLUNK!" followed by a "WHOOSH!" as the main gate valve got forced open.

I always wanted to put a model or something in the deposition chamber, but we were worried about off-gassing from plastics and similar materials.

Garet

teddon61

Garet. Wow, you just mentioned several procedures that I can't even fathom, but at least I know why you guys are so successful in this hobby, you all seem to possess skills not shared by most of society. Are The methods you mention, like deposition, useable with wood models? I would suspect that one would have to sand out every blemish on the finished airplane or have them show up like street signs on the finished product.
I don't suspect that I will ever use such procedures, but they are certainly interesting. Thanks for sharing them with me.
Ted Billings