• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Non-aviation I.D. Models

Started by Kenny Horne, March 11, 2008, 05:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Horne

Hey gang,

I've seen I.D./Spotter models come up for sale on ebay of naval and military subjects.  These all seem to be commercial (rubber/plastic) models.  Does anyone know or have seen any plans for any of there subjects? 

Kenny

Oceaneer99

I have found photographs of interned Japanese-Americans making these models (both the airplanes and ships).  Ray found the following at the US Navy Historical Center web site:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-523

The title block says "Master Models".  So they exist, but I haven't found any further leads.

Wow, some of these photos are great.  They are all US Government photos, so I'll post them to the gallery.

Garet

Oceaneer99

When I said "great" about the photos, I mostly meant the one of the excited young men in the Washington, DC high school.  The photographs of interned US citizens during World War II were a bit disturbing, though the models were excellent.  I was glad that the US government included the names and biographies of the individuals in the photographs.  I don't particularly want to start a political discussion, but I grew up with children of Nisei (first generation Japanese-American born in the US) who had been interned during the war and realized that my comment was ambiguous. I also met once with veterans of the 100th Battalion, 442nd Infantry, largely interned Nisei who volunteered for Army service in the European theater.  Their stories and bravery were sobering.

Garet

aloha

I was one of those kids back in the '40's making the spotter planes. They were pretty bad.
Old Bob

Oceaneer99

My *plastic* models were pretty bad.  What sort of wood did you use?  The guidelines were pretty specific about not using balsa, but whenever I tried anything but balsa (on non-airplane models; I didn't learn about the ID models until about five years ago), it took me forever to shape with a file and sandpaper.  I didn't discover chisels until adulthood.  I did have a pocketknife, but it was never sharp enough until I got a real sharpening stone (a gift from my Boy Scout scoutmaster when I became an Eagle Scout). I still use it, though I had to flatten it a few years back.  And I became much better at sharpening after I saw Roy Underhill's program (Woodwright's Shop).

Garet