• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Museum of Flight

Started by teddon61, March 15, 2008, 01:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddon61

Just found a new site with many interesting articles on it. My daughter in law sent me information about THE MUSEUM OF FLIGHT in Seattle , Washington.
The Museum might be old hat to some of you, but their collection of airplanes and artifacts is very impressive and covers many different eras. I was especially interested in a collection of over 400 WWII aircraft carved in 1/72nd scale, with landing gear down and props all in place, and this feat was accomplished in a mere seven years.
I'm not sure if you need this whole address because I lack a lot of experience, but here goes.
http://www.museumofflight.org/portal.asp?flash=true
Seems like a lot to type in, but hey, what do I know.
Ted Billings

Oceaneer99

I have a membership in the Museum of Flight, and go there frequently.  However, I hadn't seen the 1/72 scale model collection until last week.  A few months ago, I talked with a local solid model maker whose models I saw at the museum several years ago during a model show.  He said that the builder of the 1/72 scale models is a friend of his, and recommended that I take a look at them.  I think they are plastic kits, but the workmanship is very nice, and the sheer number is stunning.  I took some photos and will post them to the gallery.  It looks like he airbrushed most of the paint, but the stippled camouflage looks to be hand-painted with a brush.  It is an amazing job.

If you need someone to take close-up photos of a prototype that you're interested in modeling, just give me a holler!  I'm still hoping to find drawings for the Caproni Ca.20 (first fighter), which is on display in its un-restored glory!

Garet

teddon61

Garet, I have a book with about 20 drawings of Caproni aircraft but no Ca 20, must be a rare bird.
I'm surprised, and somewhat disappointed, to hear the aircraft in the Museums collection are plastic. Don't know how
I got the impression that they were hand carved. At any rate, a large collection is always impressive to view.
I just don't have the feeling that plastic holds up well, I have seen many older plastic models with warpage and
open seams, a pity to view when you know the work put into them by their builders.
Thanks for the comeback, I'll watch for the pics.
Ted Billings

Oceaneer99

Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice wooden models in the museum collection, including a huge Navy flying boat, but this particular collection seems to be plastic.

The Ca.20 was one-of-a-kind.  Apparently, after it was flown, the Italian government said that they wanted bombers and not fighters.  It sat in a barn in Italy for about 80 years until the owners got frustrated that the Italian government wasn't interested in putting it on display, so they donated it to the Museum of Flight.  Part of the reason that it has not been restored is the historical significance of the original materials.

Garet