• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

SMM 14th Anniversary X-Plane Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, April 11, 2015, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Great work to date Gordon. Looking forward to more.

Lou

buccfan

Coming on nicely Gordon, do you fix one end of the thread and let it dry, then pull the thread tight and glue the rest?. Regards Paul J.

Boomerang

Paul,
I used a dab of dope on both ends of the run  and held it in tension whilst it dried.
Took a while (was a bit cold here when I did it). Then I ran thinned dope along 
the lines when all was dry. worked for me. Doing one end probably would have been a bit easier.
Amazing what you can do with all ten fingers at once.
Cheers
Gordon

Oceaneer99

Gordon, thank you for sharing the tips on using doped thread.

Garet

buccfan

Yes, thanks for the info on you technique Gordon, regards Paul J.

cliff strachan

Gordon, you've very nicely described your procedure for, what amounts to - at least for me - the making of some type of corrugated surface for modelers of
older aircraft. In particular I'm thinking of say, the China Clipper or perhaps even the Junkers Ju52/1M. The latter aircraft, ARM which they have a replica of one
in our very own "Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada" (formally known as the  Western Canada Aviation Museum or WCAM).
   This aircraft, ARM, was flown by Canadian Airways from 1931 until 1942. It had a  length of 60ft.
   I have thought of strips of masking tape and even other devices that may have served the purpose. But have generally come up lacking. Perhaps other
members of SMM can add to the discussion - or even people who have "almost joined." Of course there will likely be some sort of commitment to join SMM
on the part of the "almost joined."
Cliff.

Boomerang

Cliff,

Lou did a "Devastator" some time ago and I think he described how he did the outer wing corrugations.

V- 173 has had some progress . Several coats of primer with cutback when I felt like it. Looks Ok.
  Air inlets done . Just needs some final tweaking. Have made the spinners ( appropriate sized dowel spun up in an electric
   drill) , prop tubes added. work commenced on prop  blades.
  Started on making the tail wheel.

Picture to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Progress pictures.

lastvautour

A beauty so far. I have not been able to do a spinner in a drill. I always mess it up and never turns out the way I envisaged it. I need more practice I guess. Looking forward to some more progress shots.

Lou

Boomerang

Working on the propeller blades.

Cheers

Gordon

buccfan

Great progress Gordon, the ribbing looks effective. Regards Paul J.

Boomerang

Boomerang

A bit of progress on V-173

Cheers
  Gordon

Boomerang

Found a few idle moments and the X-28 Sea Skimmer materialized.

Has received a coat of white primer. Engine pod and floats yet to be done.
  Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

First let me address the  V-173 - Outstanding

Second the X-28 look great from these photos. If memory serves me correctly, Popular Mechanic or similar magazine featured it on their cover.

I await pictures of both your wonderful creations

Lou.