• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DH-106 Comet Completed 13 August 2011 - Repairs completed 31 May 2022

Started by lastvautour, February 21, 2008, 01:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

Be careful with that stuff.  I used Krylon (aluminum I think) and got a nice, bright finish but when I sprayed Krylon satin clear on it, it completely ruined the finish.  Turned it to a pink shade of dull metal color.  I was furious.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I tested the process before applying. The gloss leaves a slight glow to the silver. I have not tried the satin finish on silver. The decals are drying and will be applied later this evening.

Lou

Ken Pugh

That's good to know, I won't touch that satin stuff again.  I'm thinking the safest thing for me in the future is just use gloss and sand to the level of flat that I want.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

The DH-106 Comet in RCAF colours is completed. All decals are home made on my HP printer.

I am very satisfied with this one. I think it may very well be my best effort to date.

Mark Braunlich

It's beautiful Lou.  Job well done.

Mark

Balsabasher

Lou your Comet in RCAF markings has turned out stunningly beautiful,it is a credit to your workmanship and devotion,clever photography as well with those clouds.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

Lou, very nicely done.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Thank you all. The Comet has been a favourite of mine for a long long time. Through this forum I finally got the courage to attempt it.

Lou

Peter

Awesome job as ways Lou! I enjoy creative photographs as much as your models.

Peter

lastvautour

I agree, the making it is the most fun. I do enjoy looking at them, but from what I call the dream stage, to the placement of that final decal. Truly a magnificent hobby.

Lou

Balsabasher

The dream has become a reality Lou,the dream becomes a tangible piece of beauty created with your very own hands.
Barry.

K_mars

Lou,

Very nicely work.
It`s a pleasure to see your wonderful works.

kenji.

cliff strachan

buccfan

Outstanding model Lou, you never cease to amaze me with your models,and your final photo dioramas make them come to life. Regards Paul J.

Oceaneer99

Truly an outstanding model, Lou! 

The Comet always makes me think of the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod, which is a totally different aircraft but also has the four wing-root mounted engines.  I picked up some air enthusiast magazines when I was in the UK recently and learned from them that the last one was pulled from service last year.

At the Museum of Flight in Seattle, there is a large solid model of the DH Comet that was used by an airline for display purposes.  Apparently the museum also has a full-size Comet that they are restoring:

see http://dhcomet.com/

Garet