• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Curtis P-36 Hawk Started 21 Sep 2020 Complete 23 Oct 2020

Started by lastvautour, September 22, 2020, 08:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A new project is on the bench in the form of the Curtis P-36 Hawk. The Hawk will be built following the USN WWII ID model guidelines. I am surprise to find that the P-36 is not on the list.

Lou

lastvautour

Major components are block shape.

Lou

lastvautour

The Hawk's major components are attached and awaits puttying.

Lou

Gearup

Lou, looks like another fine start!
It would be  interesting to know how much time is spent on the various stages of construction of a model. I know it would vary from model complexity and scale but maybe a pie chart would help visualize the process. I realize the numbers are different for each builder as well, but perhaps it would give New builders a rough idea on time and resource to build a given model style. As you have shown, there is a sequence of planning, prep, roughing, carving to shape, assembly, painting, detailing etc.

Anyways, I am always astounded on your production rate combined with the precision that you put into your models.

Thanks,
Fraser

lastvautour

Time spend on a model follows the scale used.  Sanding takes up most time in my my projects.

Lou

lastvautour

Putty sanded and hand brushed primer (sort off). I used an old grey paint as primer and it was semi gloss, hence the on/off shine on the model.

Lou

lastvautour

Hand brushed silver requires at least two coats.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving along. Decals are printed and currently drying. I am experimenting with decals for the undercarriage outline.

Lou

lastvautour

Bottom decals applied. Other decals require resizing.

Lou

Jim

Lou, the precision, detail and finish of your models is always inspiring!
Jim
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Thank you Jim. Decals help out greatly.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out on 23 Oct 2020. Control surfaces are home made decals and  it is finished with Deco Art craft paint.

Lou

lastvautour

Comparison with the Corsair show the small side of the Hawk.

Lou

buccfan

Very nice indeed Lou, control surface decals look really good. Regards Paul J.

Boomerang

Another excellent model Lou. A good result with brushed silver finish.

Cheers

Gordon