• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Mustang Mk I/P-51A Complete Dec 2019

Started by lastvautour, January 08, 2019, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

First cuts, I am using basswood on this one. My last basswood model was my 1/32 Spitfire that was made some 10 years ago.

Lou

lastvautour

Oops, forgot photos.

Lou

Boomerang

Look forward to updates.

Gordon

lastvautour

Slowly getting there. I am amazed at how soft the wood is. It is similar to hard balsa and must take care not to sand away to much. I have already destroyed a horizontal tail plane by sand off a trailing edge. This wood has been in my possession for at least 25 years.

Lou

buccfan

Looking good Lou, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Looks good so far Lou! Are you doing two?

Gordon

lastvautour

Yes, I had enough basswood in the two pieces I had to make two full models. The wings were actually were cut from the thickest piece I had by running it vertically in my band saw. Both fuselage and tail feathers are glued and sanded ready for the wing assemblies. One wing is sanded to shape so far. Photos to follow.

Lou

Boomerang

Look forward to your updates.

Gordon

lastvautour

I made an error in positioning the horizon plane so rather than take everything apart, I cut the trailing edge and added to the leading edge. Once sanded and painted, no one will be the wiser. The main plane is being mated to the first fuselage. The other wing awaits shaping and sanding. I plan on doing one in RCAF (Mk I) colours and the other in USAAF (P-51A) scheme. The gun types and locations vary between the different versions but the airframe is the same.

Lou

lastvautour

Second main plane is being sanded and should be ready by the weekend. The photos show No 1's wing to fuselage joint. Like the original 1/1 scale, the fuselage is lowered on the wings.

Lou

buccfan

Coming on Lou, nice work on the fuse joint. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Both wings are sanded and being test fitted. Next will be gluing followed by blending into the forward fuselage and adding trailing edge filets.

Lou

Boomerang

Nice recovery on tailplane. Both look great.

Gordon

lastvautour

Thanks. Hopefully completion by months end.

Lou