• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 PE-2 WWII ID Plus..................................(Completed 20 Feb 2017)

Started by lastvautour, January 12, 2017, 10:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Drawings have been scaled and wood selected for the wings. The twin engine. I downloaded additional drawings as the WW ID drawings in our gallery does not show the lower fuselage very well. Photos to follow once the major components are cut.

Lou

lastvautour

A 1/72 Petlyakov Pe-2 model works out to have a 9.36" wing span and 6.92" fuselage. Although quite similar the Yak 4 is 3/4 the size. Maybe a later project.

Lou

lastvautour

Cutting blocks and making templates.

Lou

lastvautour

Major components are in block forms.

Lou

Model Maker

Looking good Lou.

What are your plans for the propellers? Or will the nacelles be installed without propellers

-ken

lastvautour

I will be using whirling discs as per my WWII ID Plus collection practice. We have a few post on the process.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=753.0

Lou

Boomerang

Good looking project Lou. I found a Pe 2 drawing in my brother's files and some 1/72 Finnish decals.

May decide to do one later in the year. Also have found and scaled up a Yak 4.

Cheers
Gordon

lastvautour

Next step is to glue the wings to the fuselage, add wing fillets and some sanding. I have the lower gun gondola made but being such a low profile you can't see it unless you look under the model.

Lou

lastvautour

Gordon, what do those finish decals look like. Most Russian schemes are pretty dark and have Russian writing on them.

Lou

lastvautour

Wing fillets are made using wood filler and the finger tip as per Kenny/Garet's Spitfire builds from the old SMM site. First top coat of primer was brushed on to check the filet. I avoid spraying as much as possible due to poor ventilation in my new work shop.

Lou

Boomerang

Lou.

I'll check and get back to you. From memory it's the usual black/green upper with blue lower.
Finnish markings with a blue capital A outlined in white on fin/rudder.

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I was thinking perhaps Red 16 or the Finish version.

Lou

lastvautour

First roll out of 2017. DecoArt and Tamiya paints with spare box decals.

Lou

lastvautour

New home for the PE-2 and a comparison with the P-38.

Lou