• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/350 ID Flotilla T-2 Tanker Started Aug 2015 Launched 28 Aug 2020

Started by lastvautour, May 12, 2015, 02:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsh

Lou it's coming on well, one of my favourite ships.

lastvautour

Thank you Marsh. I have yet to figure how to make the deck piping out of wood.

Lou

Marsh

Marsh

Lou, I think copper wire would be best. I use a lot out of cables, but burn off the outer varnish with a candle. It's better to paint with the varnish off. Marsh

Gearup

Awg 14 gauge wire (0.064) Would scale out to 22" at 1:350. 18 gauge (.040) would be 14". How big would the pipes be on a full scale  tanker?

lastvautour

lastvautour

.040" copper wire appears to do the trick. The main piping running fore and aft is a wooden dowel.

Lou

Boomerang

Well done Lou! Looks great.

Gordon

Gearup

Nice. I always thought that the T2 tanker had an interesting profile. Also did not know it was called a T2🤔 
Fraser

lastvautour

Main piping done. Railings and life boats next.

Lou

lastvautour

Life boats are complete but not installed. Masts are in the making.

Lou

Gearup

The drill press gives a good impression of the models size.  Very nice.  I see also you have the same type of table lift on the drill press as my old craftsmen: 💪💪 required! Fraser

lastvautour

I gave shipwright double overtime to move construction along. Aug is the 5th anniversary of laying down the keel. I hope to be done by month's end.

Life boats are in and painted. Funnels and various deck pieces were left bare to show them off against the deck. They will get painted after I attach the remaining railings.

Lou

lastvautour

My T2 Tanker went down the slipway at 12 noon 28 Aug 2020. Just a mere 5 since her keel was laid down. Ships have a tendency to lag behind other projects on a continuing basis. Please note that all armament was deleted on purpose to qualify as a civilian merchant ship.

Lou

Gearup

I really love the classic look of you model. I think you also captured the North Atlantic very well too🤢
Fraser