• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/60 Vought SB2U Vindicator commenced 15 Mar 2021 Completed 29 MAY 2021

Started by Boomerang, March 15, 2021, 11:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Main components have been cut out and roughly shaped. Everything is Balsa except tailplane which is 3 ply.

Proposed colour scheme is VB -3  3-B-13 USS SARATOGA 1939 "Top Hatters".

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looked up 3 B 13. The green should look great.

Lou

Boomerang

Where the Vindicator is at.

The magazine was my fathers so it provided a bit of inspiration.

the cowling I've done separate using balsa dowel trimmed down with a suitably sized brass tube. The inner has been cut with another tube. I propose to clean it out and insert a disc with half cylinders and the crankcase. The Fine rudder have been started with some cotton thread doped on. The tailplane is marked ready for the same treatment. The pin holes on the wing are preparatory
for the same treatment. I will attempt to do the same on the fabric areas of the fuselage.
Early thoughts are to make the wings fold and undercarriage down.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Found it on Wings Palette.

Lou

Gearup

lastvautour

I just noticed the mag illustration has 3 S 13 rather than the 3 B 13 seen everywhere else. Looking forward to see how you wing fold turns out. We save on shelve space. I found out that S stood for scout, F for fighter and B for bomber. The entire article is here https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/usn_preww2.shtml

Lou

Boomerang

Simulated fabric on tail, wings and fuselage done .

Undercarriage wells cut out. Just have to marry the cowling to the fuselage.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Thought I had better put something up .

Progress so far.

Yet to make the undercarriage. Wheels have been done with 1/8 balsa disc's ( cut with a suitably sized sharpened brass tube) smeared with super glue.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Where the Vindicator is at.

Centre section attached . Outer wing panels removed. Working on undercarriage. Propeller in progress.

Engine crankcase done using 2 part epoxy in a blue tac mold with olive oil as a release agent. The shape is from the end of a "Sharpie"permanent marker pen which worked out as close enough.

I'll work out attaching wings in folded position. If it all becomes to difficult I will reattach them .

The undercarriage is a work in progress. For the leg covers I'll mold some polystyrene sheet to the required shape.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Really nice airfoil shape can be seen in this shot.

Lou

buccfan

Great progress Gordon, nice idea using the epoxy for casting, regards Paul J.

Dave T

I like how it is turning out. Balsa is not always the most fun to work with.

Boomerang

Thank you Dave.

Plodding along.

More work needed on engine and propeller.

Still have to do undercarriage and some mental gymnastics for the wing fold.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang