• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Caproni CH 1 Started March 2016 completed 21 May 2020

Started by Boomerang, January 15, 2019, 12:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Where the Caproni is at.

Tail and upper wing glued. Bottom wing and undercarriage pinnned and blue tacked on at the moment.

I've made up the second wing strut from squashed brass tube and soldered.
I'll call the propeller completed.

Still have to nut out the oil cooler and the rigging. Also the exhausts
I thought it would be easier painting as I go along. Seems to be working out OK. The bottom wing has a fillet.

Shouldn't be too long now.

Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

Hi Gordon;

Looking great as usual. Nice job on the ribs!! Wondering if you would be able to provide some details on how you make the propeller hub and mount the props. I have a request for a Lancaster from a friend of my wife. The Lancaster has a similar propeller arrangement and I am not sure how to go about constructing the 4 props.

-ken

lastvautour

Boomerang

Ken,

I had a quick search of the site and you put together a method for Propellers and hubs.
Lou has one also on propeller blades.

My way in this case was 4 pieces of 1/8" brass tube. cut to appropriate lengths. The 3 for the blades are filed half round where they meet the boss.
This propeller was the second one as the first set got lost somewhere.

Where the surfaces meet was tinned. I made up a jig out of a piece of balsa . The boss being vertical and lines marked for the blade angle.
Trial fit dry. Position the boss and blade hubs on the jig( pins will help here) wet the jig and then solder.

Blades carved and enough left on the hub end to insert in tube.

With the Lanc you could probably get by with 4 spinners notched for the blades then add a back plate ( just an idea that came floating in now).

I think this has been done by someone else on the site.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

I've done what I can with the oil cooler. It is not as therapeutic as homemade turnbuckles.

But if you squint from 3 feet away it looks the part .

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Cleaned up around the strut attachments. Touched up the paint around them.

The rigging attachments look like a streamlined fitting .

So I've made up a set of single attachments from bits and bobs. The intention is to stick these on with .5mm rod on both ends and adjust.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Finished.
I haven't done the rigging or the aileron hinges.

Took a while but its done.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

buccfan

Jim

And so it goes...

Model Maker

Well done Gordon!! - It certainly brings to life the designs of an earlier time in aviation.

Gearup

It is a nice bright paint scheme. The details of the wings and the painting of wheel pants (spats) add to the whole model. Well done!
Fraser

Boomerang

Thank you all.

Took a while but learnt a bit along the way.

If you google "Caproni CH-1" you will see a Model Airplane News Cover shows red and green as the colours. If you look at the pictures that pop
  up you will see a tonal change for the top fuselage colour.
In the end I went with the Robertson drawing and Dijon model.

Now there's an idea for a cook off ...... Pre WW2 with Spats

Cheers
Gordon
Stay safe