• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Gloster IVb commenced April 2013 Completed 11 May 2014

Started by Boomerang, February 04, 2014, 05:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

The Gloster is at the stage of the " fiddly " bits.

I've decided to do the float attachment in brass rod with bass wood/balsa fairings. Bit of holding the tongue at the right
  whilst positioning for shot. I'll make up a simple jig when its time to get serious. Psychological boost for me. The pencil   
  lines are for my benefit ( where extra work is needed).

Balsabasher

Great subject Boomerang,well worth the extra effort needed with the float geometry.

Barry.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Nearly but not quite finished.

Pictures below show floats ready for attachment and attached. Struts are brass tube faired with basswood.

Windscreen is a bit of recycled clear plastic which fitted on first try at folding. ( Got to be happy with that).

The tread over the wings is pre placed rigging. Was permitted into the imperial sowing kit and "borrowed" an appropriately
  sized needle which I managed to thread twice on the first attempt ( two wins).

Proceeding along with the fairing of the struts to the fuselage. I use a "polyfilla "product which has a mirror finish
  Finishes off brilliantly and when its dried I just use a damp cotton bud or a finger to get the desired affect.

The radiators are thin corrugated aluminium that I got from a hobby shop. Used "Supa" glue once desired profile was
  achieved. Radiators everywhere. The info that I can find says they were "copper" coloured. Used a base coat of Acrylic
  Gold with a thin wash of  red over the top.
  Powder blue fuselage, Bronze flying surfaces and engine covers. The "1"is from White decal paper. Its a wee bit
  transparent but I managed get both on at the first attempt .... so no going back there. I might try hitting the paper with a
  coat of white in future a see if that works.

Rigging to be done. Oil cooler will be added when all the struts and rigging work is complete.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Awesome job Gordon. The finish is great. What did you use to seal the floats. The metallic finish is perfect.

Lou

Boomerang

Thanks Lou,

I used Tamiya Aircraft Color "Bare Metal Silver"AS-12 from a "rattlecan" .

The Blue is "Model Color"- Sky Blue- Acrylic.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I have not tried the Tamiya silver. I usually use Model Master buff-able metallics.

Lou

Boomerang

Might have a look at the metallics down the track. Theres a couple of coats of primer and a couple of coats of silver
cut back between coats on the floats

lastvautour

Saw the Tamiya AS-12 this morning. Unfortunately it is very pricey here and will have to wait until my allowance builds up a bit. I still have lots of spray stock on hand. Full can of Stainless Steel (2), Aluminum Plate (2 & 1/2) and Titanium (3). The shop where I go does not stock the stuff and my minimum order was 3 each at $6.00 CDN.

Regardless, I will keep Tamiya in mind when I use up the other stuff.

Lou

cliff strachan

Gordon it really is a nice job. I'm not familiar with the aircraft but I guess that we can expect you to inform the Group of the aircraft's importance at a later date.
Cliff.

Boomerang

Cliff

An abridged history

The three Gloster IVs were first flown in July–August 1927, with the two short-span aircraft (the Gloster IVA and IVB) being   
  shipped to Venice in August 1927. The Gloster IVB was finally chosen to compete with the two S.5s in the race, the Crusader
  having crashed due to having its control cables crossed on re-assembly.On the day of the race, 26 September 1927, the
Gloster IVB, piloted by Flight Lieutenant Samuel Kinkead was the first aircraft to take off, completing five laps before retiring,
with the race being won by Flight Lieutenant Sidney Webster flying the S.5.[6] On inspection, it was found that the Gloster's 
propeller shaft was seriously cracked and would probably have failed if Kinkead had not retired.Following the race, the
Gloster IVA and IVB were returned to the United Kingdom, were they were modified to improve the pilot's view by raising the 
upper wing and used as high speed trainers. They were used to train pilots for the 1929 race, with the IVB crashing during a
landing accident in December 1930 and the IVA used again as a trainer for the 1931 race. The original Gloster IV was
meanwhile sold with the intention of being converted to a landplane and used in attempt on the world air speed record but
these plans came to nothing.

Gloster IV

Serial number N224. Original larger wings. Powered by 900 hp (671 kW) direct-drive Napier Lion VIIA.

Gloster IVA

Serial number N222. Reduced span wings and modified tail. Powered by direct-drive Lion VIIA

Gloster IVB

Serial number N223. Reduced span wings and powered by geared Napier Lion VIIB engine

If you follow the link below it will take you to NACA Aircraft circular (69) which goes into some detail.
Of interest is the photos taken at the time of N223. Note no rudder stripes ,the numeral 1 and the serial applied in small
  letters on the rudder only.
There is something written below this ( possibly Glocestershire Aviation Company) but I cannot make it out clearly so I'll just 
leave that off.

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc65060/m1/1/

Rigging has been completed with small patches of tape holding things in position negating the need to grow another   
  opposable thumb. Used cotton thread run through some primer and then some silver. Oil cooler added . Just some cleaning
  up to do , apply the serial to the rudder and that will be it.
  Picures to follow

cliff strachan

Thanks Gordon, for the very interesting history of the Glosters  and the racing. It requires a bit of digestion which I intend to do at a later date.

Cliff.

Boomerang

All finished.

Now in my son's display case.

On with the Beaufort.

( Maybe a Short Crusader a little bit further down the track)

Cheers

Gordon

Peter

lastvautour

Congratulations on a very attractive model. I am sure your son is very pleased with the results.

Lou