• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/500 scale DD-158 USS Leary waterline model

Started by Oceaneer99, January 26, 2009, 09:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

I started a run of Wilkes/Clemson class destroyers.  These are also known as the "four stackers" or "four pipers" destroyers.

The plans are in the January 1932 Popular Science (USS Leary, Wilkes class), with some help from the much more detailed plans for the USS Preston (Clemson class) in the Dec 1930-April 1931 issues.

I think Ray is building two of these, in different scales, at least it looks that way from a photo I took of his workshop last year.  See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceaneer99/1934795497/

My initial intent was to build the USS Leary in 1/350 scale to match the scale that Lou uses (and I have some PT-10 parts at that scale).  However, all three of my children wanted to make one, and thought that 1/350 was too big but 1/700 too small.  At 1/500 scale, the overall length is 7-1/2 inches.

I cut four pine wedges to match the thickness change between bow and stern.  First, I ripped 3/4-inch pine to 1.25 inches wide, then I drew the correct wedge shape and cut the wedge using a scroll saw.  By making the pieces a little long, I was able to find the correct thickness on the wedges after planing by hand.

I printed out the deck plans on cardstock and glued this on each wedge at the appropriate place using thinned white glue.  We'll leave the cardstock on to help position the parts and will paint it later.  It will help hide the grain of the pine on the deck.

The next step will be to drill angled holes for the stacks and masts, and straight holes for davits and other parts.  Then, I'll cut out the top view of the hull.

I plan to mass produce the guns, torpedo tubes (you know how those go!) and other details so that the children can shape the hull a bit, fold the main deckhouse from Bristol board, then glue on the details and paint.

We'll probably choose different ships so we can have a whole fleet.  Something like this, perhaps:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-t/dd142-k.htm

Garet

lastvautour

An excellent project to include the children. Will you be posting the plans to SMM?

Lou

Oceaneer99

Yes, I can post the plans.  I have made some modifications to them to add approximate details for deck houses, etc., that were not detailed on the original plan.  I need to do a little more clean-up, but will certainly post them after that.

If anyone is itching to go, I can e-mail the plans as I have them now.

By the way, thank you for the additional drawing of this class destroyer.  They built a lot of them, and many of them underwent significant modification during their service, so it's been difficult to find useful drawings.  The one you sent match the simplified plans from Popular Science fairly well.

A number of these ships went to the Royal Navy, so there is even the possibility of reflagging your model!

Garet

lastvautour

Thanks garet, I would appreciate a copy of your plans. If I build it will more than likely just be an ID model.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Good, that's about their level of detail.   ;) 

I have the plans on my computer at home and should be able to post them this evening.

Garet

Oceaneer99

I shaped the hull, tapered the masts (turned bamboo skewers in a drill while sanding), and cut the stacks to length. I still need to work on the deckhouses and bridge.

Guns and torpedo tubes were placed on the deck for the photo.  And the masts are parallel, though they don't look that way in the photo.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2478

lastvautour

Great work Garet. I did some work on the structure but I have nothing worth photgraphing yet. Keep is up to date on your progress.

Lou

lastvautour

Any progress in the naval shipyards. I hear the recession has hit there also.

Lou

Oceaneer99

I need to re-do the superstructure.  I have new Bristol board, and a new laser printer that has a straight-through path, so I'll see how well it prints the cutting outlines.

I've been looking at some 1:1200 plans from the Popular Science series (such as the article with the submarine USS Pompano, which also has three different destroyers), but I figured I'd better finish this model first and get the other Leary hulls into parts kits.

Garet

lastvautour

I made my superstructure using thinned out baseboards material. A chisel and some sand paper helped out. Looking forward to the completed project.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Lou,

I've considered using thin wood instead.  I'm not entirely satisfied with the plans, which are not historically accurate, and leave out the exact shape of some parts.  Part of the reason I'm stalled on this is in deciding whether to build to plan or build to scale.

Garet

dave_t

Garet,
    Put everything else away and build this first...

http://newsolidmodel.googlepages.com/polaris-nuclear-sub-lg.jpg

lastvautour

Wouldn't that be dangerous at the local YMCS pool.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

I sense another Kayak project coming along  ::)  :o  :P
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Dave, you are correct, the original Leary model was supposed to be 8 inches long.  I found my notes in the margins where I decided on 1/500 (my son suggested it, because he was planning to build one and thought 1/350 seemed large).  Most of the Popular Science plans are 1/600 scale (at least Gommi's series of ships are).  That's twice as large as 1/1200, but not a common scale.  Most common these days in North America seem to be 1/350 and 1/700 (North America, Japan), though a check at my local hobby store reveals other scales as well, including 1/600.

Well, last night, I made a THIRD superstructure for the Leary.  This time, I stretched out the pattern a bit before I printed it onto true Bristol board (I cut a 4x6 inch piece and put it in my inkjet).  I think this one is a charm.  It fits up against the edges of the hull like the real superstructure (the article shows it slightly narrower, which doesn't match photos and drawings of the ship). The Bristol board is heavier than the cardstock I tried before, so it should hold up better. I cut out the bridge windows and started to fit the bridge decks, making a tracing so I have a pattern for future use.

I'll be cutting out the cabin parts next, and then need to cut out some ship's boats.

Garet