• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Caproni CA.60 Project

Started by Balsabasher, December 20, 2013, 11:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

This is going to be my long term project for starting in  2014 the Caproni CA.60 which despite its short lived history must go into the aviation history books as  one of the most incredible flying machines ever built,every time that I look at it then it says build me,its got 9 mainplanes with a total of 192 interplane struts,so my personal challenge is to pull it off as a impressive solid model which I am convinced if built in careful well thought out stages will  evolve.

The drawings are in preparation for a model of around 20 inches wingspan and a fuselage length of some 17 inches which brings it to around 1/59th scale,it will be built over a period of time in between other projects,watch this space.

The Caproni Ca.60 Noviplano was a nine-wing flying boat intended to be a prototype for a 100-passenger trans-atlantic airliner. It featured eight engines and three sets of triple wings. Two pontoons, mounted on each side, were intended to give the aircraft stability. Only one example of this aircraft was built by Caproni. The prototype only made one short flight on 4 March 1921 over Lake Maggiore in Italy. The aircraft attained an altitude of only 18 m (60 ft), then dived and crashed, breaking up on impact. The pilot escaped unscathed. Caproni had the wrecked airplane towed to shore, and announced that he would rebuild it, but that night it burned to ashes.

Balsabasher

The templates were cut from card all ready to start making the many parts for a solid model.

Barry.

lastvautour

That is a lot of framing. Good luck.

Lou