• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Art as it may apply to Solid Scale Modelling

Started by cliff strachan, March 02, 2012, 07:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Recently, after observing the very fascinating Navy built out of match sticks, as I understand, and taking a lifetime to accomplish, I remarked referring primarily to the time spent, whether the effort expended was truly an art form.
Since that time, I have noted in the obituary of the artist George Sawchuk that in dealing with the same subject he concluded:"A man who works with his hands is a labourer. A man who works with his hands and heart is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, heart and his mind  is an artist."

A thought that may be well worth considering.
Cliff.

Peter

Cliff,

I really like that quote as they say, art is in the eye of the beholder. I think solid models are definitely a form of art. I showed SMM to a plastic model builder friend of mine who said, "that's wood carving not model building". I also posted a link on a wood carving forum and someone commented, "that's model building and were a carving forum". It's very interesting people perceptions.

Peter

cliff strachan

Hi Peter,
That is interesting. I guess we'll never get a definite consensus. But I would hope that it's about time  that the hobby is recognized as a serious undertaking. It certainly consumes a lot of time that could well be spent on more productive problems. Lord knows the world has enough problems without worrying that perhaps we will actually achieve perfection.
Cliff.

Jim

I love the Sawchuk quote, Cliff.

I have to say, Peter, that your friend who called what we do "wood carving, not model building" has a problem distinguishing between perspective than perception. I hope you reminded him that while carving might be one of the processes we employ, people were building wooden models every bit as sophisticated and detailed as those made from extruded plastic decades before polystyrene was even a glint in the inventor's eye. The word "model" comes from the Latin modulus, meaning "small measure," so a model is a model is a model, regardless of what it's made from. His mistake is that he confuses the medium with the art form. Some artists work in oils or acrylics while others prefer watercolors or tempera, but it's all painting. Our preferred medium happens to be wood; his is plastic.

The other fellow, the one who says his website is devoted to wood carving, while what we do is model-building, is a lot closer to the point. A model builder typically fashions many separate parts by various means and assembles them into a model, whereas a woodcarver typically fashions his creation from a single piece of wood. It's not a hard and fast rule, because some models are made from a single piece, and some carvings have ancillary pieces attached, but in general, I think the distinction is valid.
And so it goes...

Peter

Very well said Fingers. I think any form of art, craft or hobby will always have it's purest snobs. But I think the more people are exposed to this hobby the more likely we are to find opened mind people who are willing to try something new. So I will keep rolling my eyes at the snobs and keep posting links and showing photos. This thread reminds me of one time at a war-game convention someone complained the buttons painted on a uniform were silver instead of gold so he refused to play in the game! The lead soldiers were only 28mm high! People are strange.

Peter

Ken Pugh

I wonder where plastic modelers would be without wood modelers?  Who would make the masters for the models they assemble?

I read part of a book by Leonardo da Vinci.  He was discussing what is a true artist.  Of course, he said a painter was an artist.  They are manipulating color to make you visualize something in your mind.  By this standard, he said a sculptor is not an artist because he merely replicates what he sees.  He did say a model maker is an artist because he is manipulating the parts he makes to suggest something else.

We are limited by what we can miniaturize.  We give the illusion of detail and create an image in a mind and provoke an emotional response.  We do this with our choices of what we replicate and how we do it.  Painting is the other way we manipulate a mind into seeing what we are trying to portray.

I believe a craftsman is like a sculptor in that he miniaturizes or replicates with alternate materials.  But a craftsman can use his skills to create art.  To me, da Vinci is indeed correct in calling a modeler an artist.  Others may disagree and they are entitled to their opinions, but I think da Vinci had a sufficient knowledge of art to be a good judge in the matter.

Many ship modelers struggle with being paid an acceptable amount for their work.  Some of it has to do with their desire to make large models that no one has room for.  There has been a trend in recent years that shows a strong market for small models of exceptional craftsmanship or that tell a tale (i.e. dioramas).  The ship modelers do not like building this kind of model but that is where the demand is.  When I was reading this I was also leaning towards smaller models although I thought the larger ones would be more enjoyable to build.  Now I strive to build mostly in 1/72 scale and trying to make them appear more realistic.  I am also working towards using them in dioramas.  That use of our hobby I believe is art.

Some may think saying one is an artist is snobbish.  There are some who think what they do is art that I think is junk.  But there is definitely a different mindset when approaching a task artistically.  I have a strong background in painting and sketching and I apply the same mindset to some of my models.  I have not reached the skill necessary to create what I envision, but I am striving towards that goal.  Many times I have to remember what Richard Feynman's wife used to say to him repeatedly, "What do you care what others think?"

Ken Pugh

cliff strachan

I really want to take a moment to thank all the contributors to the discussion concerning Solid Scale and its place in the world - of Art and the world in general. There is very much to consider. I do hope that more of our members will join the discussion. They are greatly needed even though the comments to this time have shown a great deal of perspective and knowledge there still is left much to be considered by all. I'm ready to admit that for myself a lot of reflection is demanded for a lot of questions are left to be answered.

Cliff.