• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Royal Canadian Air Force lives On

Started by lastvautour, August 17, 2011, 01:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I quote.
The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) (known from 1975 until 2011 as Canadian Forces Air Command (AIRCOM) and informally known as the Canadian Air Force), is the air force element of the Canadian Forces. AIRCOM was the descendant of the original Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), which was Canada's air force from its foundation in 1924 until 1 February 1968.
Prior to 1924, Canada's involvement with air defence consisted of Canadian airmen flying with the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service, with the short-lived Canadian Aviation Corps, and with a small two-squadron Canadian Air Force attached to the Royal Air Force in England during the First World War. In 1920 another Canadian Air Force was established in Canada that was concerned mostly with military flight training and civil operations. This Canadian Air Force was renamed the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1924.
After 1968, the RCAF was merged with the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Navy to form the Canadian Forces, and air force functions were divided up and placed into several new commands. On 2 September 1975 Canada's military air services was organized into a single command: Canadian Forces Air Command. On 16 August 2011 the government announced that AIRCOM would revert to its former name of Royal Canadian Air Force with the aim of restoring Canada's military heritage and aligning Canada with other key Commonwealth countries whose militaries use the royal designation.

A great day for all airmen and airwomen who served under the RCAF banner. I wonder what the aircraft marking changes this will offer us modellers.

Mark Braunlich

Hurray!  A Great Day for many Canadians!
Congratulations from south of the border.

Mark

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Great news,I always liked RCAF better than CAF,really pleased about this.
Barry.

lastvautour

I originally joined the RCAF. Glad it is back.

Lou