• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2011 Solid Modelling Goals or Resolutions

Started by Peter, December 31, 2010, 05:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

You can do the same thing with a material called 'Rub-N-Buff' it comes in gold,silver,aluminium etc and is sold for picture framing,you apply Japan gold size,allow this to go tacky and rub on the foil with the back of a spoon etc,the foil covers straight over the grain of the wood and hides it ! the toothpaste tube idea was the same but doubtful if materials like that are used on tubes any more due to safety issues,most tube material is now inert or even polythene plastic flexi tubes.
You can buy aluminium iron on material called Solarfilm,it is basically for flying models but I have used it successfully on solids and it irons on like a dream,they do a really shiny finish in Monocote the American equivalent,and in Germany 'Orocover'
My father used to use the inside silver paper from cigarette packets stuck on with clear varnish allowed to half cure when it is tacky,he did the engine cowl of an Hawker Hind and it looked superb.
Some Christmas gift wrapping has really shiny silver finish,then the inners of card boxes this time of year can be split apart layer by layer revealing a silver membrane on the outside,the trace of card/paper deposit is ideal for glueing down.
Just a few ideas to try.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

For years I have been searching for a metal foil adhesive to apply cheap aluminum foil to models.  I wanted to replace the Metal Foil Adhesive available for plastic models that was pretty expensive.  At the local craft store I found Speedball Metal Leaf Adhesive Size.  Because I can get it at A.C. Moore/Michael's, I can use the weekly 40% coupons to get it really cheap.  I don't remember which of the two stores had it but they both have a very extensive amount of foil products.  You can find several different foil metals, adhesives, burnishers, etc.  Once my filling techniques are up to par I will be very eager to try this product.

I still haven't gotten my surface finishing technique to the point that the surface is smooth, hard, and totally devoid of grain.  I know it is possible but I must not be doing something right.  I tend to try to get the surface really smooth before using sanding sealer, maybe I need to use it earlier in the process to strengthen and seal the surface.

As far as paints go, I had really good success using cheap craft metallic paint.  The Fireball XL5 is a case in point.  I started with Krylon aluminum paint that looked great, but completely changed when clear coated.  It also flaked off when the clear coat was lightly sanded.  This was applied over a Krylon primer so I won't be using it again.

The metallic acrylics worked great, could be sanded, and did not flake.  They produce a highly durable finish  I promptly went out and bought a bunch of colors in metallic for future use.

As far as subjects go, one has to be careful about what was bare aluminum and what was actually aluminum lacquer.  The F-101 had severe corrosion problems and was converted to lacquer very early.  WWII subjects are great bare aluminum prospects.  They weren't expected to last very long and the bare aluminum was not a problem.  We see some private aircraft and warbirds today that are not only bare aluminum, but are also highly polished.

If our group had several bare metal models for display we would really turn some heads!

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Speaking of polishing metal as used on full sized aircraft this is the worst thing that any owner can do,I know they buff em up for Oshkosh and the like but successive buffs takes off the this but vital surface protection on the alloy leaving it open to corrosion,also a lot of buffing makes the alloy thin,there was a chap who used to keep his Beech 18 sparkling,they had to scrap it in the end because of the latter problem,thickness of the metal skinning,the British Queens Flight stopped doing it for this very reason,they used to have De Havilland Heron's that you could shave with ! airworthiness authorities are getting wise to this problem and advising owners not to do it.

Barry.

Balsabasher

Dare I suggest a metal finish B-36 Bomber as a subject ! lots of work but boy it would look good.

Barry.

Ken Pugh

One big puzzle I need to solve before using actual metal is how to paint it.  I know acrylics easily wear off aluminum unless there is a primer underneath.  Will I have to mask off and prime every thing separately, like anti-glare paint?  How well to decals hold up on aluminum?  It would be nice to clear coat the aluminum and that is something I plan to experiment on.  If I find the answers I will share them all.

I have the Guillow's B-29 in 1/32 scale waiting to be built, got it when a business shut it's doors.  I have always thought it would look great covered in aluminum, probably the roof flashing that is fairly cheap.

Ken Pugh

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

Ken Pugh

Soda cans have a coating on the inside and outside.  They may also have to be annealed to bend, which scorches the coating.  I have had great results with roof flashing, which is fairly soft but can probably be annealed even further.  A large roll costs about $10 at the big hardware stores and has lots of material.  That was my aluminum source for the monster Hellcat.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Quote from: Ken Pugh on January 05, 2011, 02:06:32 PM
One big puzzle I need to solve before using actual metal is how to paint it.  I know acrylics easily wear off aluminum unless there is a primer underneath.  Will I have to mask off and prime every thing separately, like anti-glare paint?  How well to decals hold up on aluminum?  It would be nice to clear coat the aluminum and that is something I plan to experiment on.  If I find the answers I will share them all.

I have the Guillow's B-29 in 1/32 scale waiting to be built, got it when a business shut it's doors.  I have always thought it would look great covered in aluminum, probably the roof flashing that is fairly cheap.

Ken Pugh

I use sunday roast containers,you can shape the parts with the back of a spoon laid onto two layers of carpet underlay.

Barry.

R.F.Bennett

Let's keep the conversation on topic gentleman. Is this the kind of formality you want on the site.  I don't quite understand, I've asked for ideas and feedback till blue in the face and got very little. Save for Cliff, Barry and Lou.
Is this site not a successful site? You can build what you want and post it on your own board, don't have a board? Ask. Is there anyone here who has asked me for one and been turned down? Do you want a cook-off?
Propose one, get ONE member to second it, Clarify it, It is done and they never end in case someone wants to join in later. No winners, no losers, so anyone, at any level of skill can join in. I have never said no to a cook-off proposal. I can't make people participate in them. I can't make new members who don't build and post, build and post. When I had to face the fact that due to my health I could not fully participate in the site as I had hoped, I asked for help. Those few who answered the call can only do so much. Yet as far as growth and output this has been our greatest year ever.
When I started this site I made some rules.

1. All models must be of primarily solid wood construction. Exceptions can been made for the benefit of educating/inspiring the group.
2. All levels of skill are welcome and will be encouraged. This is an educational site in part.
3. No overbearing administrators or members will be allowed to discourage participation. You will note that each is the admin of his own board.
4. No politics or Way off topic chatter, personal arguments. "How about those Seahawks!"
5. This site must always be completely free. The information free to access, without need to register.

I don't understand why people can't realize, this site is what you make of it. We go for months at a time without any posts. Then everyone shows up and says, "What happened?"
I started this site, not a group of us, it was me. Then I said here, have at it.
If you think it's time I walked away, I nominate Garet.
Rant over.
"The Dude Abides"

Ken Pugh

Sorry if I offended.  I wasn't making a demand just entering a discussion.  I will make sure I don't step on toes anymore and will no longer post anything other than solid wood models or information regarding anything other than solid wood.  Again, sorry.  I wasn't making any judgement of anyone.

Ken Pugh

R.F.Bennett

QuoteSo, I raised the flag, commence firing at it!  We can debate whether we want to expand in this general way or if we would rather keep this specialized on solid wood only in the style of ID models.  There is merit in both philosophies.

Was I not to participate in the discussion?
See Rule 1 about exceptions.
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

After all, the site is named Solid Model Memories.

Peter

I think that this Forum is being run extremely well. Believe me I know. I belong to over 40 Forums and email groups. I moderate or own 10 of them. Its quite often a stressful, thankless job. All that being said. I think raising awareness of SSM to other groups and other modelers will only strengthen solid modeling as a hobby. Has there been any thought given to an off topic board? Call it the Pilot's Lounge or The Officer's Mess etc. This would keep the solid model boards pure but give a place for members to talk about off topic hobbies, say Merry Christmas etc.
Peter   

R.F.Bennett

The General Discussion Board is labeled "Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. "
The Ping Board is also a response board as to what is happening and important at the moment in the poster's/group's life. Your suggestion of an Officer's mess (We Don't all build planes) Is a good Idea and will be implemented in a few days. I will also post a more accessible link to the chat-room at the top of the page. As far as further promotion of the site. That is always an ongoing process, but it has been impeded by my health.
We have a staggering Spam-bot registration problem that leads me to be very careful about where I promote the site. Lou is also pushing the site hard and anyone else who wishes to do there part by posting to links boards is welcome. I only ask that the rules of THAT site about posting links be followed.
"The Dude Abides"

Peter

Spambots are a huge problem all over the internet. I am willing to volunteer to help out anyway I can just let me know how.

Peter