• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Burkard Hawker Typhoon

Started by Lotus-14, May 26, 2010, 09:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotus-14

I posted this set of plans, which are pretty representative of the old wartime solids here in the U.S.
I have a few more of these old plans from Burkard (Consolidated).  They were a giant scale model some had pre-carved fuselages with the the wings and tail surfaces cut to outline.  Most of them were not too great as far as scale outline, but what did we know! I loved the very exaggerated paint schemes (covered in stripes) that they showed for their built-up models.
Later probably in the late '40s or early '50s Consolidated converted a few of them to 1/2A scale control-line models, by cutting the fuselage down the side center-line and hollowing out the insides. The other parts were still the same. I built the 1/2A version of this model. The ads showed the same goofy paint schemes.  Later Consolidated made a few very fine well scaled models, that built up well.  They all had carved fuselages, but now had built up wings. They had a 3/4 scale TBF-1, Ju-87 Stuka, and a larger scale Ryan Dark Shark.  there was also what was their last 1/2A model; a Stuka.

Oceaneer99

Lotus,

Interesting Typhoon plan!  Notice the error in the shape of the bottom of the fuselage at the aft end of the radiator (should be a step).  This is a common error in 1940s plans of the Typhoon, I think because that shape is obscured when the gear is down.  Maircraft also got it wrong, but Hawk and Hobby Model got it right.

Garet

Will

The stripes on the underside of the wings were "Typhoon" recognition stripes, not D-Day ones.  Apparently quite a few early Typhoons got "bounced" and shot down as FW190s!  They also experimented with a white nose (not just the spinner) which whilst making them recognisable, meant they were decided to be too obvious to every enemy pilot for miles around.
If you were very lucky, the tail of your early Typhoon stayed attached, as exit via the car door was difficult, hence  Tiffies got bubble canopies (and reinforced tails), which impressed US authorities such that they were adopted for P-47s and P-51s.

The stripes were seen as a success, so a similar scheme was adopted for friendly air forces recognition for D-Day, though the spacing is quite noticeably different.  Variants were also used in Korea and Suez.

Mustangs also had (different) stripes in the ETO, as they would be bounced by P-47s thinking they were Me109s - I can't blame them either as recognition charts and models of 109s still had the square wings (like the P-51) of the early types A-E (check out the USN patterns in the archives which looks like a D-Dora type to me - a museum piece by 1942) rather than the round ones of the F-model on which would be all any allied pilot would encounter by then!

Regards
Will Booth
Rainy (for a change) England

Balsabasher

I think this is such an historical novelty that it needs building exactly as is,goofy stripes and all ! I may just do this one myself one day as it would still look good in this format,thanks for these plans they are very nostalgic records of days gone by.
Barry.