• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Strombecker SBC-4 Spotter Kit

Started by Oceaneer99, November 20, 2008, 05:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Lsjim posted a Strombecker plan for the SBC-4.  See:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2290

This is pretty interesting, because it looks like they took blocks from the Navy ID model plans, along with blocks from their How-To guide, and made a single-sheet plan out of them.

At one point, I was working on a plan for a Yak-1000 (I finished the model long ago), which would be in the style of the old ID plans.  Someone (Lou, Kenny, Dave Tunison or Ray) called it a "Neo-ID Plan".  We even located a font for the old Leroy-style lettering.  I spent a lot of time looking at how the ID plans were laid out, and it looked like the style changed a bit between the early sets (A, B) and the later ones.  We noticed that there were definitely kits based on the ID model plans, very similar to this one, and the fonts and layout would be different than the originals.

Garet

spider web

I'm an old timer that just joined the forum. For what it's worth, I started out working with Piasecki Helicopters in Morton, PA in 1952.
I was in on the development of the CH-46 SeaKnight and CH-47-Chinook Helicopters.
I worked in the tech manuals department "BC", before computer using the Leroy Lettering set, which I still have and use at times.  It :) was common practice in the aviation industry when a new aircraft was being designed to produce "three views" of the design for engineering design studies. Example, would the aircraft fit the elevator dimensions of an aircraft carrier ?
The "Three View" also provided production engineering a tool in deciding where the splice points would be for the sub assemblies.  The SeaKnight was built in three major sub assemblies, the greenhouse that included the FWD Pylon or cockpit which was joined to the cabin which was joined to the tail with ramp and AFT Pylon.
We did a lot of technical illustrations for the flight handbooks. I did the original axonometric structural repair drawings on the CH-46 SeaKnight Cockpit, FWD Pylon, Alighting Gear, and Stub Wing Assembly.
Rotary winged aircraft do not have landing gear, they have alighting gear.
If I have a three view, I can build a model from it.
Those were the fun years for me............. :)

lastvautour

Welcome to the group. How shall we address you Spider Web? I hope to see some of your work sooon.

Lou

spider web

Just call me Jim..........
One thing I remember about the Strombecker kits was that pine was the common material.  I found out a broken double edged razor blade was not the tool to use in shaping the wood !   
Can you imagine in today's world a father giving his son a pen knife at age seven ?    My father did and this was my first right of passage in life learning how to sharpen and use this tool.
It was now much easier in cutting the pine.
Anybody ever play "Mumbly-Peg" at school recess ?

lastvautour

The pocket knife would have been a blessing for me. I used to steal/borrow mom's paring knife. If it was missing, they knew where to look. If it was dull, she also knew why. Unfortunately, none of that early work survived my departure to the RCAF. The joke after 55 years is still Lou and mom's paring knife(S).

Lou

spider web

spider web

Yesterday I found and downloaded SBC-4 plans and started working on the model.
I remember being up close to this bird at Lakehurst many years ago. As a kid I can remember being awed at the monstrous size of this airplane.   
The only difference this time as a senior citizen who just had his cataracts removed and replaced with plastic lenses and can see 20:20 for the first in his life and along with a large collection of modeling tools built up over a life time now makes it much easier and faster in making a model.

The thrill of taking a block of wood and actually coming up with a presentable model still remains.

It's a shame you lost the paring knife that could now be included in your personal museum.

Before I forget, I still use broken bits of glass who's sharp edges are great for making fine shavings on a model.

cliff strachan

Hi Jim,

As a senior citizen its nice to have company. The cataracts and their correction will be my next step to becoming a new teenager. Then I'll be able to actually see what I'm carving. There are indeed a lot of memories to be compared. The younger guys don't know what they've been missing but, this Group is providing a great opportunity for some of them to "catch up". Welcome.

Cliff

spider web

Thanks Cliff.....
Cataract removal and replacement was the easiest surgery I've ever experienced.    The operations were two weeks apart.  I was operated on starting at 7 am in the morning and was having breakfast at "Bob Evans"  at 8:15 am.
When the drops wore off, I had 20:20 vision.   Now I have to wear reading glasses for the close stuff.  I'm not complaining !

One of the benefits of our peer group that grew up building models was that we learned how to be independent. 

The satisfaction being able to cobble a model out of a piece of wood, no matter how ugly it was percieved, was our reward.  Every model presented new challenges and learning experiences.   

lastvautour

Using broken glass pieces was suggested to me by my slightly older sister some time around late 1954. I think I was doing an Ouragan jet that I had seen on TV. B&W of course. I keep telling myself I will do another some day.

Lou

Cliff, received my first CPP check today.

R.F.Bennett

Cliff, didn't you build a really big Hindenburg model?
Jim witnessed the crash I believe.  :o
"The Dude Abides"

spider web

I was almost five years old when I saw the Hindenburg as she flew low over West Philadelphia in May, 1937.
For some reason, I can remember some things back to when I was two years old.
I was living on Ithan Street, a typical row house street. Trolley car routes were in easy walking distance for everyone in this era.....you were rich if you owned a car. mom & pop grocery stores, bakeries, delicatesens and tap rooms were common.

The streets were narrow with no automobiles.  When anything happened of note,  someone would come into the street and shout.  Soon, everyone would gather in the street and in this case looked up to see the Hindenburg as she quietly glided over our street like a slide show on her way to Lackhurst.  I remember hearing the engines an see the passengers waving as she slowly glided by.  To me she was a huge silver wonder........what stuck in my mind was the huge tail painted red with the huge swasticas.

Later that evening I remember hearing the famous newscast on our Philco Radio and again everyone gathered in the street talking about what just happened.  Everyone waited for the latest newscast and the morning paper.

I remember Gabriel Heater and all the other radio serials.  Jack Armstrong, The Shadow, Amos & Andy, Little Orphan Annie and a lot more.

Another bench  mark in my life is when I was living at 204 Moore Street, Darby when the Japanese attcked Pearl Harbor on December 7 th.

Now I have a question on the SBC-4..............Inspired by the forum, I decided to build a model of the SBC-4.   I downloaded the plans and have yet to decide what size I'll make her.  As a test of my computer system, I hope to make and post visuals of the step by step process.

My question is, "What was the color scheme used on this bird ?"

I know the Navy painted the wings yellow during this period.

If some of you folks are interested in some of my and sharing your anecdotal tales I would be delighted.  I assume this subject matter would be better posted under a new heading like, "Do you remember ?"

Happy Thanksgiving to all !

lastvautour

Happy Thanks Giving Jim and all my American friends. I for one would love to hear of days gone by.

Lou

cliff strachan

I've heard of "Mumbly-Peg" Jim but I've never known what exactly it was. In the meantime - and I suppose that this is not really the place for this - did you guys ever play "Pullaway or Tackle Pom Pom Pullaway", "Buck Buck, How many fingers Up?", "Anti anti I - over", or "Jailer"?

I've listened to all those radio shows too. My favourite was either Jimmy Allen or Howie Wing. One of these days I'll post a copy of the flying instruction manual that was provided by Captain Sparks and Little Orphan Annie through Quaker's Puffed Wheat. Yes, I'm afraid that a lot of Solid Scale is remembering. And as Lou has received his first cpp cheque he'll soon be sitting around reminiscing too.

Cliff

cliff strachan

Hi Jim,

To have actually seen the Hindenburg is something beyond words. About a year ago I was lucky enough to be able to buy a copy of a recently published Photo History of the airship. Talk about travelling first class! And what size! Even to build a model in 1/72 nd scale would be daunting.

Cliff.