• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID Models

Started by Kenny Horne, February 24, 2008, 07:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylittlewoods

Hi Garet

It had to be the teeth.LOL.
That was the thing about WWII nobody really knew what they were doing/up against.The inaccuracies are what they knew.I'll more than likely add too them by the time I'm done.LOL.Thanks for the support,this group is great for that,it helps to know you can mess up alittle and not get beat up about it.It makes it fun to do.

Mike

lastvautour

No activity since 03 March. What happened? Mine is still on the to-do list. Anybody else have any progress, lack there-off. Garet, since you painted and detailed your PRY Spitfire it doesn't count for an ID.
Let's hear from everyone who was going to join in. Fall is coming, cold weather, rain, SNOW, and lots of carving.

Lou

lastvautour

I decided to put my blade where my mouth was and I have started a 1/72 Spitfire, done according to the ID plan. I am resisting making changes. It should be done by tomorrow evening except for the paint drying.
Come on guy, wakey wakey, time is a wasting.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

I'm working on a P-40 Lou, But my glue-up split after I did the cut outs.  ???
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

I took just over 14 hours from start to finish including sleep, a nap and three meals, several visits to the food bank(donations) and walking the dogs several times. I used balsa and did not go any smoother than 180 grit paper hence the texture. I used flat black as a primer, sprayed clear gloss and finished it off with a good coat of semi-gloss black acrylic.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1639

And if you did not notice I spent at least 60 seconds in making the stand.

Lou
P.S Whose next???? Garet?Kenny?Ray?

lastvautour

With a bit more care to sanding and giving it cam paint with decals, one would be hard pressed to tell which one was the ID model.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1640

R.F.Bennett

Now Lou, would you rather have me working on an ID model or working on the new homepage,  :-*
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Sigh, I wish there were more hours in the day.

True, Lou, since I detailed the Spitfire, I'll need a new subject.  Fortunately, we have all those plans on the gallery now.  I even have some scrap pine and cedar from the kayak.

The detailing, painting, and decals take up almost 50% of the build time, so a true ID should go pretty quickly.  I'll take a look at the plans again and see what strikes me.

Garet

Oceaneer99

Okay, I'm now mulling the following:

Bristol LRQ-1 (plan F1)
I-16 (plan B19)
Mitsubishi 96 (plan B14)

These do seem to fall into my regular pattern of single engine (though the LRQ-1 is a flying-boat glider, so maybe that is a way to ease into a seaplane).

Garet

lastvautour

Two cook-off in one?? Great way to fill out your group builds.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Hmm, and the LRQ-1 didn't go into production, so maybe it also qualifies for that several-years old "fictional" group build  :) I'm joking on that one; I think it needs a Bill Barnes plane!

I couldn't decide between the Polikarpov I-16 and the Bristol LRQ-1, so I cut out all the parts for both.

I cut out blanks hand-planed them, then glued on the paper patterns and scroll sawed the top view.  I stuck the cut-offs back on with drops of hot-melt glue before cutting out the side view.  Here are the species:

I-16:
fuselage: spruce
wings, stabilizer, rudder: basswood

LRQ-1:
fuselage, wing fillets: spruce
wings: poplar
stabilizer, rudder: basswood

Since I was working on both, I took the total time and divided by two, which works to 1.25 hours for each so far.  Some of that time was spent trying to figure out which bearing on my scroll saw is going bad.  I'll need to sharpen my chisels and knife before I start carving.  The spruce cut a little rough on the scroll saw, but it is the same stock I used for the PT-9 and parts of the PT-10, and those finished just fine.

Interestingly, the poplar was a quarter-inch thick piece that I bought years ago when I first read on-line that people were still making ID models!  Which were of course Ray, Kenny, Lou, Cliff, and others!

Garet

Oceaneer99

I've started the Polikarpov I-16, having rough-carved the fuselage:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1645

Garet

lastvautour

As long as you keep building you will get there. I am looking for another quickie for next weekend. I figure if I build my main projects during the week, the ID models will be my break for the weekend?? Seemed logical when I first thought of it.
Besides that, I need more 1/72 solids in my collection. I am up to two now.
Lou

lastvautour

I started at 6:30 PM and it is now 8:30 but I must stop and attend to other duties.

I will finish it next weekend.

Note the fancy stand. Same one I used for the Spitfire.

Oceaneer99

Amazing.  I just hit 6 hours on the I-16, and it has only just gotten its wing glued on.

Garet