• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

August 2017 Ping

Started by lastvautour, August 01, 2017, 01:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Starting the eight month and we have 27 completed models so far this year. Keep them coming.

The gallery has 2,984,057 views so I predict the 3 million mark by next month.

The forum has 4,811,038 views and will definitely cross the 5 million before September.

lastvautour

I have a few things in the fire.

1/32 F-86
1/72 F-86
1/32 Fishing boat "Paula Nicole" a Bruno Stillman 55
1/350 T2 Tanker
2/3 underdog hand launched glider (solid balsa)
Airtoon F-18C revival (may go back in the shelf) **

** Paul posted his Phantom II and F-18 photos in the gallery and I initially thought they were new build. Hence I took mine out and started to clean it up some. Ah senility, everything can seem as new when you can't remember having seen it before.

Lou

buccfan

Sorry Lou, it's just the Photobucket switchover that confused you, I've got my Hawk and Buccaneer photo's to come yet. Regards Paul J.

FlyingS

Starting my next model, a F8F Grumman Bearcat. This was my Dad's favorite aircraft during his 22 year carrier in the Navy. I have printed the patterns and will start making templates to rough out the blocks. Using Bass wood and will be my first fully painted aircraft. It will have a 10" wing span.

johnnytodd

In keeping with my Battle of Midway 75th Anniversary theme for the summer, my next project will be the Nakajima "Kate" torpedo bomber - again in 1/56 scale.

FlyingS

This is my first attempt at doing the wings in one piece. This model I'm going to paint in Navy blue and tryout the printable decal paper. Any suggestions on that is appreciated.
(hope I'm posting this correctly?

lastvautour

Looks good to me. I suggest you post your build phootos and comments on your personal board. When you post here, they quickly get lost in time.

Pete1616

Harv,  I think you could save a lot of work if you cut the wings thinner. I use a 3/8" blade on my bandsaw, less blade wobble. As well, if you leave a bit of stub when you cut out the fuselage, joining the wings becomes neater. I use finishing nails with the head cut off to hold the wing in place as the glue sets, and quilting pins for thinner pieces. you can even drill the hole with the pin prior to gluing. For glue, I use the "Gorilla"  glue with the blue cap for all my models.
Pete1616

lastvautour

I start all my parts from a 1" board or thicker if needed.
It just means cutting more waste product, but then I am never in a hurry.

Lou

FlyingS

I tried posting some pictures to the project file but I got an error message. Tried everything I can think of, some times it will only let me select one photo, then other things I try it says its too big, even PDF's. So anyway, I'm still developing my technique so I appreciate the suggestions. I've fitted the rear stabilator to the notch in the fuselage, still have to shape the air foil. I saved the scrap from band sawing the wing so I can rough out the thickness on the band saw. I may have gotten a little carried away with the thickness of the blade (haha) but I was trying to square the center section to make it easier to fit?

lastvautour

Have you tries uploading to the gallery and linking from there?

Lou

lastvautour

Just killing a bit of time while putty dries. 1/144 trumpeter kit and my own 1/144 Mustang Mk I trying some photo set ups.

Lou

lastvautour

We have 29 completed models in the SMM Year book at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1478.0
Please have a look to see if I missed anybody.

Lou