• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Presentation to wood carvers

Started by Pete1616, April 12, 2017, 11:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete1616

Well, the Niagara wood carvers accepted my offer regarding the carving of aircraft.

I'm speaking 24 April to their club (I was a member a few years ago)

I plan on taking 6 aircraft, a variety of eras, from the Arrow, Vickers Vedette, E3 AWACS, PZL 11C, Catalina, and CF 104.The variety of wood ranges from mahogany, butternut to cedar.

As well I'll show some partially finished models and some blanks, Some patterns with Lucite patterns, sources for plans....virtual aircraft museum, plan 3 vues etc.

I'd like to tell them about SMM and would welcome some help in the form of an explanation of who we are and what we have to offer...by someone who can put all this info into a paragraph or two.

My wife is coming along to help me and take a photo or two.

If this goes well, you'll hear all about it, possibly by getting some new members.

Any suggestions, ideas etc will be welcome. Perhaps this idea of converting bird carvers will work out to our advantage......Pete
Pete1616

Pete1616

Well, on Monday evening I spoke to 50 or more wood carvers. It was fun! They were interested and asked a lot of questions....about SMM as well as the carving of aircraft in general.

I handed out Cliff's excellent essay about SMM to 12 of the people there. As well I gave out my phone number and E-mail address to any that asked. I had some plans and patterns that I gave out as well so they could try their hand at aircraft carving. I spoke about scale and explained the use of my proportional scale, Lucite for patterns from quilting shops, finishing nails for attaching wings, pins for thin pieces and blue cap gorilla glue to attach pieces (some of them were still using dowling and wood glue)

Interest was shown in aircraft flown by Canadians, so I'll dig through my filing cabinet for Lancaster, Halifax, Mosquito, Spitfire, Hurricane, Avro Arrow etc and donate the plans and patterns to their club.

I can highly recommend this venture to any members who don't mind public speaking, If we get 6 new members from my adventure on Monday I'll be happy. 
Pete1616

buccfan

Well done Pete, by your report it sounds like you enjoyed doing it as well. regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank Pete. I hope your efforts generates new memberships.

Lou

Pete1616

Just one more thing....In order to further encourage the club members, I spoke to the president and offered a collection of plans and patterns to be places in their library.....WW2 aircraft and aircraft flown by the RCAF etc....I'm getting rid of my collection of plans so this seemed like a good place for about 24 of them. The rest will be in the recycle bin.
Pete1616