• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Century jets cookup

Started by Ken Pugh, December 07, 2008, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The wings have been cut and the fuselage block selected. Sanding and shaping should begin by month's end.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2570

Lou

lastvautour

Progress is average for a project this size, namely slow!! I have cut the fuselage and wing blocks. The main wing is a one piece block shape with the down sloping shape built in and the fuselage is partially block shaped. More when I take the camera downstairs again.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2608

lastvautour

Block shaping is taking place. I have spend just under 3 hours on the Starfigther with most of that on various power saws.

Lou

lastvautour

Marcos Borges

Hi lastvautour
Nice job!
I would like to participe in the century jets Cook-up.
If it is possible, I would like to know if the F86 Sabre is OK.
I didnĀ“t understand exactly the meaning of "century jet".
Regards,
Marcos.

Marcos Borges

Sorry guys.
I just learned now about the Century jets.
So if it is possible I would like to join with the North American F-100 Super Sabre
Marcos.

lastvautour

You are most welcomed to join with the F-100. I have placed my F-104 on hold to concentrate on finishing my Hudson Bomber. It has been in the works for over two years now. It is about time I completed it.

Lou

Marcos Borges

Thank you lastvautour
I will start the search for references, a good set of 3 view drawings and will open an album in the Solid Models Gallery.
Regards,
Marcos.

Oceaneer99

I just got a book on interlibrary loan that has some concept drawings of Century jets that were never built.  I'm still going through it, but will post an update if there is anything useful.

Garet

lastvautour

Please do garet. There were some nice designs that never made it beyond the drawing baord stage.

Lou

cliff strachan

Does anyone have plans for a McDonnell Voodoo F101 or know where they may be viewed?

Cliff.

Ken Pugh

cliff strachan

Thanks Ken. Printed it out AOK. ie after a few false starts and a lot of help. I was looking at an F101 that was part of our local aviation museum and thought that I could take some photos for decals and might - sometime in the very distant future - try a solid F101 if I could get a plan.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Good Luck Cliff. The "101" may very well be my next century bird. In 1/32 scale it should be pretty massive. I have 14 years experience on her as a fitter. Man that airplane was dirty to work on.

Lou

cliff strachan

Well Lou, I took a few digital shots of the F101 that's parked out in front of the Western Canada Aviation Museum and initially thought that I could run off a model of this pdq. It would be  easy and would be an opportunity to practise airbrushing - only one colour, basically. Silver. Well, as you know better than most, it's not silver but grey. It's also not easy but complicated - especially the underside.  Also, the CAF version is not the same as the single seat version that I've got the 3views for. So for now it's "back to the drawing board", perhaps literally.  Finally, this a/c presents a problem if one decides to mould a canopy. There's just too much presented in the form of ejector seats and instruments to realistically replicate.

In passing, hope Ray and Garet manage to come up with a solution to the problem of keeping the group running. It's a very good effort in  the broadest sense. Perhaps if they can slow down and only do the best they can, parcelling out with detailed instructions as to what is required, to others that may be able to help, all will be AOK.