• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

October 2009 PING!

Started by R.F.Bennett, September 30, 2009, 06:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

PING!

STATUS REPORTS! ALL HANDS REPORT! :o

Gallery Stats:   

2993 files in 203 albums and 16 categories with 406 comments viewed 153718 times

Forum Stats:

Total Members:     106
Total Posts:    2731
Total Topics:    369
Total Categories:    9
Users Online:    6
Most Online:    70 - August 29, 2009, 03:33:27 AM
Online Today:    6
Total page views:    407771
Average page views per day:     622.55

"ANNOUNCEMENT!"
Thanks to all of your donations and Garet's hard work managing the fund we have bought THREE MORE YEARS! of hosting!
That makes us set until 2012!

:o  :'(  :-[  ;D     :P

RFB
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

October, leaves are turning, shorter days, hint of frost, my birth month, and cleanup time "Or Else". Before I commit to anything new a total clean up of the basement must be done and on the bench projects must completed. So far to date on the bench.

1/32 Scale
WACO Cabin Biplane - painted and wheel struts attached. Wing struts require paint and attachment. Wing strut holder/fairing need to be constructed, glued and painted. Anticipate completion by 10 Oct.
Beech 18, Bollingbroke and CF-100 are shelved projects and don't apply to the must do list
1/48 Scale
Argus continues at a slow pace with three engine nacelles partially sanded and the fourth carved.
Misc
Air-Toons - Five completed last month. One commissioned F-102 and a T-33 currently on the bench should be completed by 15 Oct
A childhood project started around 1965 or 66 has been given some bench time. The intakes have been modernized and a delta wing pattern selected. I feel the intended model was probably a Mirage III. Work will continue for the foreseeable future.
Plastics - 1/24 2006 Ford Mustang Coupe completed this morning. Need photos for upload to flickr
Three 1/72 BAe Hawks and one 1/72 Corsair II should be done by months end.

Clean up begins tonight - completion TBA

Lou
P.S. I still need to unpack my show birds and do some repairs. The natural wood Spitfire fell to the floor and crushed the trailing edge of the rudder approx 1/16".

lastvautour

Everything has been put on hold pending resolution of septic tank problem. I affectionately call this Stargate Greenwood.

Oceaneer99

Ouch.  Don't get sucked into that project!

R.F.Bennett

If Samantha Carter shows up, tell her I'm an Alien and I want to come home with her...  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Status of all models on the building board (and a few not yet there yet):

1/500 scale waterline model USS Preston (Popular Science plans): Printed USS Preston superstructure onto Bristol board, a test of the board and my new laser printer. It ended up curled, but seems to flatten okay.

1/350 waterline PT-10 "Model Navy" plans:  Pulled out the rough cut pieces of 1/350 PT-10, cut pieces for a new model, glued up cabin top and shaped hull

Comet plans full-hull PT-9:  no progress this month, but it feels like it's about to budge

VKA-23 Spaceplane: minor reshaping of the fuselage, primed and nearly ready for paint

Still looking into building a SIPA S.70 at 1/72 scale.

Brisol Spaceplanes Ascender 1/72 model: engines need to be glued to the wings.  All parts are now primed.  Need some fillet work near the fin.  Then, she'll be ready for the paint shop!

1/48 scale Speed Spitfire:  no progress in a long time

1/72 scale Bristol LRQ-1: no progress, parts are rough-cut only

Potential new 1/1200 waterline ship: SS Ancon from Popular Science USS Panama plans.  This would be the 1939 passenger configuration, not the WW II command ship version.  The Ancon was at Normandy and many other amphibious battles, and was the ship that transmitted the surrender in Tokyo Bay.

Working on building a larger light tent for photography.  My current one is 12 x 12 x 12 inches.  I'd like a new one 18 x 18 x 18 inches (roughly a half meter cube).  I'd like to use PVC pipe and fittings and then use white nylon fabric to diffuse the light.  I found a cube-corner sprinkler pipe fitting, but one of the three sockets is threaded.  I bought a drill bit that I think I can use to drill out the threads to the right diameter for 1/2 inch PVC pipe.  I'll probably need to come up with a new light stand to go with it -- my old one now lights my wife's sewing table!  I bought a double-gooseneck lamp to modify for this purpose.

No progress on my small balsa and tissue Hawker Hurricane, though the wings are now complete with dihedral.

lastvautour

WACO Cabin Biplane completed 2 Oct 09. Check out my projects album for photos and details of the build.  Now for some serious cleaning up........

Lou

Boomerang

Greetings all,

One month into Spring on this side of the world.

- Gloster VI - Crinkle finish episode overcome and will now progress

- Cierva C25 - Basically completed just need to touch up some of the red and do the cockpit coaming.

- XP-55 Ascender - Surface finishing has commenced. Some more work required around upper intake and cockpit.

- Supermarine Type 224 - Pilot carved. Surface finishing has commenced.

Things on the to do list

- Will be gleaning the archives for methods on radial construction as I intend to do two models to 1/32
requiring an Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar IV.

Well done on the WACO Lou.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Cheers
Gordon

R.F.Bennett

Not Model related,But it's what I've been up too...
http://rfbennett.imagekind.com/
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Saw some of your work on flickr. Nice photography.

Lou

Ken Pugh

I have been extremely sick for three of the weeks in October and am finally getting back to it.  I am working on the monster Hellcat again, gotta get that rascal done and delivered.  The F-102 is sitting on its stand taunting me, but I am a little gunshy about those custom decals.  I will use some leftover insignia and make the lettering up myself.

Ken Pugh

R.F.Bennett

Glad your feeling better Ken, Thanks Lou...  :P
"The Dude Abides"