Total Topics:    223
Total Categories:    8
Users Online:    8
Most Online:    68 - August 07, 2008, 05:36:35 PM
Online Today:    15
Total page views:    169978

lastvautour

Pretty quiet on the eastern Canadian front. Following is on the bench

1/144 HMCS Bonaventure no progress1/144 Banshee nine airframes completed and partially primed with gunship grey acrylic paint1/144 HO4S-3 one airframe partially completed
1/144 Tracker(4) nil progress
1/144 O2SU Kingfisher airframe completed but needs assembly. Float completed awaiting connecting struts. Wing tip floats nil progress to date
1/32 Hudson sanded and primed using white primer as basic colour is such
1/32 CF-100 wings re-carved to block form. Original had warped so bad the piece had to be rejected
1/32 Expeditor nil progress
1/72 Ascender II nil progress
That is it for me today.
I basically celebrate Christmas from 1 to 31 Dec. So an early Merry Christmas from the Vautour house to yours

spider web

"Merry Christmas" to all from myself and family !

I'm also suspending for the most part all the modeling in order to finish the Christmas presents in work.   I have several landscape paintings to finish, four clocks to assemble that are from fretwork designs from Wildwood Designs and few other decorative items.

I have a fully equipped shop in the garage and one in the basement.  I no longer make any furniture or cabinets because at my age I'm only interested in having some fun.  All the power tools in the basement shop are bench top models.  The best and most used tool of all is the new HAWK 220 scroll saw that will cut just about any material.  The motor speed goes from 30-1,750 strokes with just a turn of the dial. Using the liquid cooling attachment I can cut ceramic.

The other top of the list item to finish this month is my  lighted photo shoot stage with a rotating stage for taking pictures of the items I make for posting.

I hope you all get the tools you want from Santa !

cliff strachan

Merry Christmas Jim,

As I'm about your age I can understand why we should extend the best wishes early. You certainly are busy with your various projects. Keep up the good work. But please tell me how old dudes like us "can have fun".

Cliff

Oceaneer99

I didn't make much progress model-wise last month, so my updates are indirectly model-related.

• made progress on Yak-1000 Neo-ID plan drawings
  • prototyped two hardboard boxes for storage at my workbench (photo to follow)
  • built a cardboard box to store sheet balsa and basswood -- will probably replace with a hardboard box soon
  • bought a 1938 book on waterline ship models
  • bought a neat book on toolmaking, with neat ideas for chisel and gouge making
  • bought some fittings to make an air supply for my airbrush
  • measured, etc., filters and blowers I've assembled for that spray booth I've been meaning to make

Garet

Ken Pugh

The monster Hellcat is progressing quickly to the stage where assembly and final detailing can begin.

Been thinking a lot about what to do next.  Combat Aircraft magazine have been showcasing the century series jets and I have always loved those planes.  I'd like to build them all in my own little cookup.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I would not mind tackling a Century Series cook-up in the new year. I have made the F-104 in 1/24 scale some years ago. As I was not as proficient as today in making decals, she is rather plain.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2322
1/24 scale would be way to big for this project, so perhaps 1/32 completed over two years or 1/48 over one year or 1/72 or 1/144 in about six months. More in the new year Ken.

Lou

spider web

Simply put, "Old dudes like us can have fun" because we are still just kids in older bodies !     The "kid" thing is still being able to be interested in and still get the thrill when we can actually make something by hand, and no matter the outcome.
As all of us at our age have been tempered by all of the challenges that life has thrown at us and survived !   
Collectively, I don't think any of us are candidates for a retirement community and will fight to our last breath in being placed in a nursing home.  I do not do well with my peer group around this area. Who the hell wan'ts to sit around and rehash or complain about all that's bad?
Yesterday my wife and I visited an antiques mall in Chadd's Ford, PA, Andrew Wyeth's home.  I took my camera and had a ball taking pictures of all the home made doll houses and other items made by people with little skills, tools and a hell of a lot of love.
Unlike all the "smoothy, shiny" items this generation expects and demands,  some of these folks at the mall were attracted to these one of a kind, primitive artifacts.  One of the dealers was selling a lot of "Hobo" art.
The harsh economic times this generation is being tested by may be a good thing when all they have left is having to make toys for their kids and loved ones.   
"A doll house made from a discarded carton or a rubber band gun from a few scraps of wood will bring delight to both the maker and reciever."
"Merry Christmas" or whatever to you all!
The Spider

Ken Pugh

Just when I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the Hellcat, my pastor calls me up.  I am building the monster Hellcat for him.  We are currently collecting money for a new building for which we have construction plans made.  While drinking his coffee he gets the idea that good 'ole Ken might build a model of the new building.  Of course, I agreed.  I am still carving out time to build a century jet next year no matter what!  So far, I plan on building the F-102 in 2009.  One more and its a cookup!

Ken Pugh

spider web

One of the challenges of being skilled with the hands is like having a lot of money, you have many friends.
As a seasoned senior citizen, and a practicing crack pot, I've eliminated those who use to come to me and request a model.  It usually started out as, "We know your busy, but do you think you can help us out with a little model of such and such for our fund raiser?"   It don't have to be fancy, just look like what we want to build !   
This is the time to RUN for the hills...................I know from experience that the maker becomes a target for those who have no talent or experience but big mouths that will quickly find and point out the smallest flaw !

I was fortunate to have worked with a fellow who taught me a ruse that has saved me a lot of pain over the years.  It's usually your reputation that suffers.
My statement to these inquiries is this, "I am willing to help you out with this worthy project but under these conditions"   "So that there is no misunderstanding, I need to put this writing with both our signatures so that YOU don't get in trouble with your group."   ( Puts the monkey on his back ! )

I explain to them that what I do is as my livelyhood or income supplement and that you have to charge them for all the material and labor, however, you'd will donate 30% of the cost.   This where money talks and BS walks!  I make sure I tell the requester that surely they expect to paid and are entitled to their compensation and so are you !

Artist/craftsman are usually at the bottom of the social ladder unless needed but must make sure to wipe their feet at the door !

I've built a  number of architectural models over the years and will help you if you need, AT NO CHARGE !     There are some tricks to the trade..........

The Spider ::)

lastvautour

I never made any miniature buildings, but I did build a shed once. Regardless, I am in for the 2009 Century series but I think I will start with the F-104 in 1/32 scale. I have the wood for the entire series F-100 to the F-106. Now to find the time. What scale will you be building Ken? I will start a post in the group cook-up but, like you  will not start carving until next year which by the way is just a short 3 weeks away.

R.F.Bennett

See my Ping from last month. . .  :P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Just to let you guys know that I do clean up from time to time. Especially when the misses says CLEAN-UP.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2324

Ken Pugh

I will build in 1/72 size for the jet.  I am also a big fan of the Voodoo, well, all of them actually.  Of course, the Voodoo is a monster.  I have noticed the F-102 has some subtle features that may be a challenge to model.  I am also in a quandry over the paint scheme.  I was thinking of South Carolina ANG because I live in North Carolina or maybe President Bush's plane.  That would be my opportunity to tweak any lefties that hate him.  I figured the Voodoo would be popular because it was used so heavily in Canada.  I would like to build a couple of Voodoos.  My father worked on RF-101C models in Vietnam servicing their electronic warfare equipment.

I have no problem building a model for the church.  I will ask them to reimburse me for my materials, which they will be glad to do.  It may just be good advertisement for those types of models, which apparently fetch very handsome prices.  We'll see.  I will build it to the scale of the drawings they have available though I am not sure what that is.  It will definitely be a good learning experience and will help me learn the techniques and skills for that type of model.  Building for my church is one thing, building for anyone else will not be free of charge.

Thanks for your offer, Jim.  Took some research to find out who sent that email, lol.  At present, my voice is wrecked from a wicked flu my granddaughters donated to me but I may be calling you in the future.  I too have unlimited long distance (Vonage).  Got to love the progress of technology.  I did a web search of those models but mostly found sites offering to sell them.  Saw nothing on techniques.  Doesn't really look difficult but it would be great to know the pitfalls ahead of time so I can work more efficiently.  That is why my monster Hellcat is taking so long, I need to develop the techniques as I go.

Too many models, not enough time!

Ken Pugh

spider web

"That's the whole point Ken, having more models to build than there is time is what keeps us going !" 

Fortunately, I got smart a few years back and bought six, wheeled industrial wire shelves and file storage boxes that I now use to store parts, prints, books and anything else needed building models.  Some of the boxes are storing half finished models waiting to be finished when the mood strikes.

I look forward to hearing from you when you're feeling better.

The Spider