• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DH-98 Mosquito

Started by lastvautour, June 29, 2011, 08:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Great looking Mosquito so far Cliff. I see an interesting way to attach the nacelle. Nice going.

Lou

Balsabasher

What a lovely looking Mosquito,well done Cliff.
Barry.

lastvautour

cliff strachan

My model of DH98 Mosquito MK IX "F for Freddie" is now finished. In the first photo I've shown the model along with a copy of the Winnipeg Free Press of June 1945.http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=6539 This photo shows the intense national expression of sorrow at the loss of life of the crew that, having survived so many operations during the war, were slated to be killed in an accident only a day after the end of the war in Europe while displaying their flying skills during a Victory Bond drive in Canada.
The following photo and the next are intended to display the model along with a replica of the flying that was undertaken in their bond promotion:While I can barely remember seeing the display it was not unusual for the aircraft while "shooting up" a city to not only fly just over the roof tops but to also fly between buildings!
My final two shots of the Mosquito - The ghost of "F" for Freddie - are to  display the model in its place back at Gimli.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=6535

Cliff

lastvautour

You have outdone yourself Cliff. Superb Mosquito. A photo has been placed in the Model of the Year folder.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Love the way you told a tale with your display.  Did you use plug in landing gear and props or is the photo trickery?

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Cliff what realistic drama ! you have relived the events with your Mosquito.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Hi Ken. No the landing gear and the props were carved from wood. The gear was affixed after the aerial photos were taken. A faint simulation of rotating props was made by using black and yellow photographic dies to the prints - providing that the prints are made on photographic paper. When I  went to the photograph's shop this last time I was informed that I was unlikely to be able to get such dies for long because of the universal use of digital technology. Yes, it's nice to try something new and to answer questions about one way of solving a problem.

And also the event did play an important part in my early interest in  aviation. I believe that I was about twelve years old when I stood in about the very same place - Portage and Main - when they were doing their stuff. It would indeed be nice if we could somehow be able to indicate the importance of a modelled aircraft and why we were particularly attracted to that aircraft.

Cliff

Balsabasher

Cliff the Mosquito has played a big part also in my interest in aircraft too,as a young lad my dad gave me a solid brass Mosquito,it was so heavy to fly around the room but I loved this model ! it also taught me to draw aeroplanes by constantly reproducing its beautiful shape,the brass model vanished for a while until I found it again in my dads stuff when he passed over,it now sits in my workshop reminding me of those happy days.
When I saw my first real Mossie once again I thought how beautiful a shape it is and so well made from balsa and plywood.
My last block of Mosquito balsa ( they sold off blocks post war via model shops ) will serve to produce a few more models,it is superb close grained quality balsa.
The thought of those Mosquitoe's flying below the buildings is amazing.
Barry.

Peter

Well done Cliff an excellent model in every way and an important part of our aviation history. Seeing you mentioned Gimli, maybe you should model the Gimli Glider next another important part of Canadian Aviation history.

Peter

Mark Braunlich

Looks great Cliff.  Thanks for the details of your personal connection to this subject.  

I'm currently building an 18" span vintage (1934) Comet rubber powered flying model of the Martin T4M-1, out of scope for SMM but mention of it is made here because the construction of the full size version provided Depression era employment to my late uncle in his youth.   It makes it a lot more interesting when we have that kind of connection with a model.

Cheers,
Mark

cliff strachan

I think that I can detect that my effort to impart a degree of historical realism  with my submission of my Mosquito has evoked many personal memories of a similar nature in many of our members. From this standpoint I guess I did achieve a certain amount of success in my efforts after all. For this I'll give thanks to Barry, Mark and Peter to whom I'm glad to be of service in this regard. In a similar fashion I can recall my own dad making a Solid Scale China Clipper for me  when I guess I was only about eight years old. He liked to follow aviation even though he was a telegrapher at that time with the CPR in Winnipeg. (In fact he had already worked in the same capacity with many railroads in the Western US and as I  recall he was so taken up with aviation that he would occasionally fly commercially from Winnipeg to Grand Forks just for the fun of it.) The plans of that very same China Clipper I've posted with the SMM group and still have the original model - with all  pop's errors - in my display cabnet.

But I'm especially surprised that Peter is so familiar with the saga of the Gimli Glider. That's a story in itself. Briefly, I guess that my only claim to almost fame is the fact that I was  scheduled to be controlling that sector that very time and the guy that I traded shifts with was not very pleased to say the least!
But you tell it Peter. The least one can confirm is that when your Number's up it's up; but when it's not it's not.

Cliff

Cliff

Peter

I worked for Canadian Airlines and Air Canada as a "Ramp Rat" so I heard many different versions of the legend. I even loaded and unloaded the Gimli Glider (C-GAUN) a few times at YVR (Vancouver International Airport). Instead of typing the story here is a few links with the story including a CBC news cast from the day.

http://www.fearoflanding.com/accidents/the-gimli-glider/

http://archives.cbc.ca/science_technology/aeronautics/clips/1155/

Peter

lastvautour

The Discovery Channel ran the Gimly Glider on their Mayday program a few eeks ago. I like the comments that other pilots could not successful land the aircraft in the simulator. It took a lot of skill and guts to do what that man did.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks again Peter. That's a most informative description of the series of events that happened that day. There's also a book about the circumstances of the Gimli Glider that is also very interesting from a historical and third party or controller perspective. As I suppose most have concluded it is the passenger or, in this case, a controller that may experience a greater degree of stress than is generally assumed. That is an event may call forth - especially in circumstances wherein the passenger is unable to drive or fly the vehicle - a degree of frustration verging on other emotions that are essentially uncontrollable. I've saved the site references that you have generously included.

But everyone - all of our members, their families and acquaintances - may they have the best of the Season. And even if you insist that there is no such thing as Global Warming I'm bound to tell the world that living in Winnipeg I still haven't plugged in my car or put on my Parka - the first such year in my life that I can recall.
Cliff.