• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Santa's Visit

Started by lastvautour, December 25, 2013, 12:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Santa was generous this year with a new laptop that came as a complete surprize. For the child in me, a model of Dusty. An old fashion Christmas that played to my boyish heart.

Merry Christmas
Lou

Peter

Hello Lou and everybody Happy Boxing Day!

Santa and family were very good to me this year. Here is a lit of my loot.

- 12 inch by 3 yard roll of Frisket film.
- Olfa circle cutter.
- wood burner (I'm not sure how this will be used for solid modeling, ideas gentlemen?).
- $50 gift card for Lee Valley.
- several woodcarving books and a watch.

The most exciting thing for last!!

I received a one year basic subscription ($21 Cdn.) to Rapidresizer.com the software was designed for quilters and wood workers and there are three just levels of subscription. I only wanted the basic as it seems to have everything I need. In the last hour I have sized and printed the Navy ID templates for the Liberator, Wellington, He 111 and the Douglas A20A. Each time they all printed exactly to 1/72 scale. They also automatically convert the file to a PDF. There is also no line distortion if you enlarge the image. The image is automatically split over several pages with know loss of image lines. So my New Years resolution is to size as many plans on the Navy ID plans and put them in the PDF section that currently only has the DC3.

Peter

Peter

Oops I also forgot this experimental stocking stuffer. It's called Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (Clear). Mod Podge was originally developed in the 1960s for making Decoupage it's a glue, finish and sealer. There is a wide variety of versions gloss, mat etc. I am intrigued by the Dimensional Magic (Clear) because it is a clear plastic finish to give dimensional depth to items. According to the packaging it won't sag or run. So I'm hoping if I apply it to cockpit canopies and turrets it will look better than just painted.

What I am planning is to paint the cockpit canopy black, then apply the Mod Podge, once dry, I'll apply the canopy tape lines. I will take photos and post the results if it works.

Peter

cliff strachan

Lucky Peter. Of course we are all waiting anxiously for your copies of 3d's of those plans to be posted.

Merry Christmas.

Cliff.

Will

I got a couple of plastic car kits (McLaren M23 and Ford GT40), but the most SMM-related thing is a copy of a new book: "Schneider Trophy Seaplanes and Flying Boats - Victors, Vanquished and Visions" by Ralph Pegram.  It includes 1/72 3-views of every competitor including some paper projects.

Happy New Year All,
Will