• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Differences Between Douglas DC-3 and Lisunov Li-2

Started by High Plains, November 24, 2013, 06:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Plains

So I've been a little bit of reading about the Lisunov Li-2, which was a Soviet-built licensed variant of the DC-3. Does anyone know what the major differences between the Li-2 and DC-3 are? One difference I've read is that the Li-2 had "shuttered" engines to control airflow and to deal with extreme cold temperatures. What does that mean?

lastvautour

It means that the flow of air coming to the engine is controlled by shutters. The two disc will rotate to reduce or increase the air intake to the engine.

Lou

Photo link http://www.douglasdc3.com/index.html

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Physical shape is the same,they took a C-47 apart rivet by rivet and copied it piece meal,same as the B-29 copy,with those shuttered engines you could easily create a Russian Dakota solid model.
Barry.

High Plains

Thanks for the responses. I've been thinking about building some LI-1's (though I should probably build the model I'm currently working on first :) )

I've been thinking about the Hungarian Malev LI-1, which has a really snazzy paint scheme.

Jeremy

Will

Jeremy,

That photo confirms something I recall reading somewhere (Airvectors website?) that the Li-2 has the passenger door on the port side for some reason.  Maybe it was a Soviet convention, such as we're not going to mount a horse the same way as the tsarist and capitalist dogs? :D

Will

High Plains

Quote from: Will on November 26, 2013, 07:43:42 AM
Jeremy,

That photo confirms something I recall reading somewhere (Airvectors website?) that the Li-2 has the passenger door on the port side for some reason.  Maybe it was a Soviet convention, such as we're not going to mount a horse the same way as the tsarist and capitalist dogs? :D

Will
;D

High Plains

Copying and adapting western design was fairly common in the Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc.

For example, during WWII, the US shipped 70 ALCO RSD-1 road switchers to the USSR as part of the Lend-Lease program. Following the war, the RSD-1 became the basis for the TE1, TEM1 and TEM2.

A Soviet RSD-1 build in 1944 by ALCO.

A Soviet built TEM1

A Polish (formerly PKP class SM48) Soviet-built TEM2.

Other Examples:
The Fiat 124...

...is the basis for the VAZ 2101...

The Studabaker US6...

...is the basis for the GAZ 51

CKD Tatra in Czechoslovakia purchased a license to build PCC style streetcars...

...and with that license built the

Tatra T1

Tatra T2

Tatra T3

Tatra T4

Personally, I find this history to be fascinating.

Balsabasher

You are right High Plains it is interesting and over the years the aircraft,automobile and locomotive industries have been adapting and stealing ideas to locally build products of great use,the Russians were said to have used the secret Concord technology to produce the TU-144 Concordski   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IstWYY644pg  which broke up in flight at the Paris air show in 1973.

There was even a locally foreign built version of the well known Dragon Rapide somewhere I have a photograph and it makes for interesting comparison.

There is a funny story about the opposite passenger doors on the LI-2,when one visited London airport in the fifties the ground handling could not initially find the exit door !

Barry.

lastvautour

Some one had the drawing reversed and nobody would own up to it, hence new placement of the door.

Lou