• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

New Video-Making small air scoops and tiny detailing

Started by Balsabasher, November 12, 2013, 07:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

New Video-Making small air scoops and tiny detailing.

This technique is ideal for those small but distinctive humps and bumps we find on aeroplanes when it is impracticle to carve really tiny pieces,airscoops,landing light rims,streamlined speed bumps on cowlings etc.

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/UDAZONE/media/DSCF4828.mp4.html

lastvautour

May I suggest that at the end of each video you hold a small card for approx. 5 seconds indicating the topic.

Lou

Balsabasher

A good idea Lou,I will do that as from the one planned for tomorrow,todays which has been shot on location is due for download later,it will help keep track of the subjects covered in the various topics.
Barry.

lastvautour

I tried one placing the card at the beginning and it seem to work that way. A previous one would show the final scene and not the card. Go figure.

Lou

Autograph for celebrities will be held at 1300 hrs GMT.

Balsabasher

Right leave that one with me Lou,a card at the beginning it is then.
Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, how long do you keep the template in place? Not knowing what PVA glue was I looked it up on line and found that it was white carpenter glue. I used a bit of talcum powder to thicken it up but it left a bit of a trailer when I lifted the template. Maybe I used to much talc? I have several drying on my glass pane I use for cutting tape. I should be able to just peel them and glue them in place once they are dry. I am experimenting with the viewing bubbles on the Mossie.  Do you do more than one application of glue?

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou you do not need the talc,place some into an open container and let it thicken up a bit that way,you can use either as brush as shown in the video or any scrap of wood for applying.
It takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it you will find it really useful,I got the idea from a scale flying model builder who had built the name 'Dunlop' in PVA adhesive onto some moulds for making scale tyres ! he used a fine brush and just kept layering it on until the right depth was achieved.
When I did the video it was a bit clumsy but done carefully into the shape that you want it works well,its good for rivets if you like doing those,simply fill a small hyperdermic needle with PVA adhesive and apply the necessary rivets with the needle,you may need to thin the adhesive down a bit in the needle.

Barry.